1. What is Hong Kong QMAS Visa?
The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS) visa was introduced in February 2006. This system was started with the aim of attracting highly skilled workers from nations worldwide.
QMAS primarily works on points-based selection patterns. Individuals and families who want to live in Hong are required to score eligible points and then apply for the visa.
2. What are the eligibility criteria to qualify for a QMAS visa?
To qualify for this program, you must have
- A first-class degree (in Bachelor's degree or Master's degree) from a recognized University.
- At least 2 years of work experience.
- Your age should be between 18-50years
- The IELTS/TOEFL exam (with basic level) is required to prove language proficiency.
- You have to meet all the financial requirement of the immigration process.
- You must score minimum points under General Points Based Test.
3. What are the Minimum Points Needed to Qualify?
To migrate to Hong Kong as a permanent resident, you need to score 80 points out of 100. These points are allotted for factors like;
- Educational Qualification
- Work Experience
- English Language Skills
- Additional Factors
The immigration consultants can help to understand your eligibility in a better way.
4. What are the processing times for the Hong Kong immigration?
The immigration processing times can't be determined because of
- The cut off points varies with every draw.
- This process involves a visa interview that is conducted in Hong Kong by immigration department.
However, we can determine an estimated time frame until you receive the Approval-in-Principle. Process till this stage takes approximately 8-12 months.
5. What are the documents required to Migrate to Hong Kong?
The documentary evidence to become eligible to apply should include:
- An application form in English or Chinese language.
- A photocopy of the personal selected page of the passport. Sometimes, a photocopy of the last arrival with the stay label in Hong Kong is required.
- A photocopy of the identity card of the Republic of China (if any).
- Completely filled visa application form with all other supporting documents.
- A photocopy of personal annual income like bank statements or statements which is showing the current market value of your investment.
- A photocopy of proof that you are fluent in English or Chinese for example, the result of a language test (TOEFL or IELTS).
- A photocopy of academic qualifications like graduation certificates or academic records from the educational institution (and the technical qualifications)
- The proof or your work experiences like your employment letter or contract must be carried with a photocopy (along employment visa (if any) of other country)
Note: All the listed documents must be submitted in English or in Chinese, if not then must be translated into English or Chinese by a particular certifies translation body.
Immigration authorities have the right to demand a document in the future as and when required.
6. Can Your Dependent Accompany You to Hong Kong?
If you are a married spouse applying for a dependant visa, you would certainly want your spouse and dependent kids to migrate with you.
The good news is Hong Kong allows foreign nationals to do so. When you enter Hong Kong on a QMAS permit, you are allowed to bring in your spouse and unmarried dependent children (below the age of 18).
You will have to apply for a dependent visa application and mentioned all the details about your intended stay. The dependents are allowed to work or study in Hong Kong on this visa.
7.How to Apply for Hong Kong Visa in India?
- Application Procedure:
- You need to submit your documents for educational credential assessment. This is done to check whether your educational credentials meet the education standards of Hong Kong.
- Then, you as a candidate need to prepare your application form. This form must be attested with supporting documents.
- This application is then pushed into a pool of applications. In this pool, all applications that are submitted from worldwide nationals are stored.
- Hong Kong immigration authorities will further conduct a selection exercise for quota allocation. In general terms, this is a draw conducted to select the applications with the highest-ranking of the period.
- Upon the selection of your visa application, you will receive an invitation to apply. This is called as the Approval-in-principle.
- This Approval-in-principle is an indication that you meet all the prerequisites to apply for Hong Kong PR and the authorities invite you for an interview.
- You are required to attend this interview with immigration authorities in Hong Kong.
- If you qualify through the interview, you will be asked to complete the remaining formalities and make the visa fee payment.
- The last stage is to apply for the permanent resident visa in Hong Kong.
8. How to extended the HK visa?
If you wish to extend your stay, it is important that you apply at least four weeks before your stay period in Hong Kong expires. The conditions to extended the visa are:
If you are a person who has entered Hong Kong under the General Points system, you have to demonstrate that you have taken measures to settle in Hong Kong.
You have to gain employment or establish your business within the 1-year period. In case you are unable to do so, the extension may or may not be considered depending upon special circumstances.
- If you are a person who has entered Hong Kong under the Achievement-based Points system, you must be able to demonstrate that you are capable of supporting your stay and the stay of your dependents (if any), without any dependency on public assistance of Hong Kong.
9. What is the Hong Kong Visa for Indians?
Here we are primarily talking about Hong Kong's permanent residency visa for Indians.
Known as the quota-based entry permit, this visa grants Indians a right to enter Hong Kong, complete the formalities of permanent residency and gain a PR card to reside in Hong Kong.
Quality Migrant Admission Scheme is the term allocated to define the PR visa of Hong Kong. This name is with reference to the fact that Hong Kong admits only quality migrants through this program.
Candidates with skills, experience, and eligible factors will be considered eligible for this visa program.
10. What is the validity of this visa?
The QMAS visa is issued usually for 1-year. You as a visa holder you can renew this visa before you complete one year.
If you wish to extend your stay, it is important that you apply at least 4 weeks before your stay period in Hong Kong expires.
Other Popular Quations
Can you get a job easily in Hong Kong on a QMAS visa?
Hong Kong QMAS visa is one of the popular programs helping many aspirants to migrate and find a job in Hong Kong.
After its establishment in 2006, the Admission scheme has been set to an annual quota of 1,000 people each year. However, these visas are not dependent on securing local employment to live in the city.
Since, the program is points-based; you are required to score a minimum for eligibility. Out of the total 225 points, you should be able to get a general score of at least 80.
Though, these points serve as eligibility, these cannot assure for receiving a job at earliest. Hence, you should aim to score higher than the actual required one.
Also, by having experience in any of the specified fields as listed in the program can help you earn additional 30 points.
The factors and the maximum score for the QMAS visa are:
|Age (Maximum 30 Points)|
|51 or above||-|
|Academic/Professional Qualifications (Maximum 70 points)|
|Two or more master's degrees/ Doctoral Degree||40|
|Two or more bachelor's degrees/ Master's Degree||20|
|Professional Qualification awarded by a nationally or internationally recognized/ Bachelor's Degree||10|
|Additional points if a degree at bachelor level or higher is awarded by a renowned organization recognized internationally||30|
|Work Experience (Maximum 55 points)|
|At least 5 years in a senior role in not less than 10 years'||40|
|At least 2 years in a senior role in Not less than 5 years'||30|
|Specialist level work experience in not less than 5 years'||15|
|Specialist level work experience in not less than 2 years'||5|
|specialist level work experience with international exposure in not less than 2 years (Additional score)||15|
|Talent List (Maximum 30 points)|
|Additional points by meeting specifications of the respective profession||30|
|Language Proficiency (Maximum 20 points)|
|Proficient in both in written and spoken Chinese and English||20|
|Proficient in at least one foreign language||15|
|Being proficient in written and spoken Chinese or English||10|
|Family Background (Maximum 20 points)|
|At least one immediate family member residing in Hong Kong on permanent basis||5|
|Accompanying married spouse is having equivalent degree or more||5|
|5 points for each dependent child under the age of 18||5 (Max. 10)|
|If profession is qualified (Additional)||30|
How do you submit the QMAS visa request for Hong Kong, instead of depending on the visa agents?
Are you planning to submit your visa on your own? Then try to gather the information as much as you can. The more details you gather, the easier it becomes to avoid the hurdles or delays.
Below find the steps to be followed while processing for Hong Kong QMAS Visa:
Step 1: Need of meeting eligibility requirement
Fulfill and satisfy the minimum eligibility requirement of the visa. Once you are successful, you will be awarded points based on it.
Step 2: Get through Points-based test
After meeting the requirements, get your profile assessed under the General Points Achievement based Points test. Since you are applying by yourself, you need to get self-assessed before applying.
Step 3: Allocation of the Quota
The Hong Kong Government conducts selection exercises for the allocating the quota. During each exercise, candidates meeting the eligibility can get ranked according to their scores.
Step 4: Approval-in-Principle Letter
If you become successful in receiving a quota, an Approval-in-principle letter will be issued. You are now in need to visit Hong Kong with a visit visa and attend an in-person interview.
Step 5: QMAS Visa
In the in-person interview, if you prove and get your all documents verified, then you can get a visa or entry permit under the QMAS visa.