If you are interested in visiting Hong Kong, you may or may not require a visa depending upon your nationality. However, if you are intending to reside in the country permanently, you will definitely need a long term visa.
This visa is called the Quality Migrant Scheme Visa, a PR visa of Hong Kong. This visa gives you an opportunity to migrate to Hong Kong based on your skills and settle with a permanent residency status.
However, before applying for the QMAS visa, it is important that you know thorough details of this.
What is Hong Kong QMAS visa?
The QMAS migrant scheme stands for Quality Migrant Admissions Scheme, and is a quota based selection visa. This is mainly targeted for entrants who are highly skilled nationals in a particular field and also have a wish to stay in Hong Kong for a longer period of time and explore employment options.
With this being said, migrating to Hong Kong on this visa simply does not happen. There are certain prerequisites that you need to follow before you can be able actually to make it possible.
The process of immigration is online-based, and demands you to attend an interview in Hong Kong so as to determine your ability to reside in Hong Kong. But before filing for the visa process, you are required to score 80 points under Hong Kong’s immigration points based test.
Through this visa program, over 1000 applicants are able to enter Hong Kong as a permanent resident. You can also invite your married spouse and other dependent children who are below the age of 18. But for the dependents, you need to apply for a dependent QMAS migrant visa which comes under a dependent visa or another visa holder’s scheme for a visa entry.
The QMAS scheme of visa allotment is designed catering to the needs of the Hong Kong economy. It majorly targets highly skilled professionals because the entry of such people can contribute to the economy of Hong Kong as well as they can up bring other technological developments of the country.
So if you want to migrate to Hong Kong and work there, you will need to score points first.
What is the minimum point needed to qualify for QMAS?
The minimum points required to migrate to Hong Kong are 80. These points help you qualify for the QMAS migrant scheme depending upon a number of different factors.
Let’s get to know about the eligibility factors that are needed so that you can get an entry permit and admission.The eligibility criteria for applying a PR visa of Hong Kong are as follows:
- If you are from Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Korea, Nepal, Vietnam, Albania, then you cannot apply for the QMAS migrant program. All other nationals are allowed to apply for the same admission.
- The applicant must be of 18 years old or more than 18 years at the time applying for the QMAS visa. Age factor has a great role to play.
- Then comes the need for maintaining a financial possession. The applicant must be capable enough to accommodate himself or herself and the dependents that come with at the time of immigration. The applicant must not depend on any of the public assistance resources for any financial assistance.
- The applicant must have good behavior and should not have any criminal record in the past.
- The applicant must have good language proficiency in either English or Chinese language. The applicant must be competent enough to read and write. The applicant can also be proficient in Putonghua or Cantonese too for admission.
- The applicant must have a basic educational background. The applicant should preferably possess an undergraduate degree or bachelor's degree. The master’s degree of the undergraduate degree must be from a recognized university for admission. The degree from any tertiary educational institution will also do.In some instances, if the degree is not present then any documentary evidence of any sound technical education can also do.If you have any relevant professional abilities, experience, and achievement, then also it will work out.
- The applicants then need to pass a graduation test that is of two types:
- General Points Test.
- Achievement based Points Test.
When the applicant appears for the general point test, there are a number of factors that need to be taken care of. The points revolve around the age of the applicant, academic educational qualification and technical qualifications, the experience of work in any relevant field and degree, language proficiency in English or Chinese language and past family back grounds.
The maximum point allocated for this test is 165 point, and the minimum point that needs to be secured to pass the test is 80. Having the required qualifications for the nationals is a very important eligibility criterion to get admission into Hong Kong and fulfill the financial requirement of admission.
So, when you are applying to go to Hong Kong and also wish to be a permanent resident in the future, then be sure with your qualifications for admission. The advisory committee has a great amount of role to play for admission.Achievement Based Point Test
This set of tests is meant for the workforces who have got an exceptional talent or possess skills that had resulted in some of the outstanding achievement. The scoring factor for this segment is 165. The scores are only allocated to the candidate if and only if certain conditions are followed:
If the applicant has been awarded for exceptional work and qualifications like Olympic medals, Nobel Prize, any national or international awards and similar achievement. Experience really counts.
During the screening process, you need to show that the exceptional achievement of yours has been acknowledged by some of your peers and also that the concerned achievement has been of great help to the society or the field you are working in. A lifetime achievement award will be a great edge over applicants for immigration.
How can you get QMAS visa for Hong Kong?
In order to migrate to Hong Kong, you need to apply for a visa application form attested with all relevant documentation. These are generally the proofs of work experience, education, etc.
The first step would be applying for a visa application on the portal.
- Then the next step would be to arrange for supporting documents that can prove all the information you have filled at the time of interview application along with the relevant work experience.
- Once the authorities at the immigration department scrutinize all your submitted documents and work experience and other relevant experience, you will be sent an acknowledgment mail.
- The immigration authorities keep on conducting a selection exercise for bringing new applicant into the nation.
- Your score in the screenings will now count. If you satisfy the entire prerequisite and the required criterions of experience of the relevant education and work experience, you are likely to get selected without any problem.
- The allotment of employment visa is at all the times done with reference to the highest scores secured.
- The results of allotment are usually published in between 15 days of the visa exercise.
- The maximum quota per year is limited to 1000 applicant per year. If you come within the approved quota, then you will be issued with an approval in principle letter.
- The approval principle allows the foreign resident for immigration into Hong Kong with a visitor visa.
- Upon your arrival, you have to go for a visa interview. The documents submitted at the time of application are verified. If you have an accompanying dependent, he/she doesn’t need to attend an interview.
- Once the Migration authorities are pleased that all declarations made or information provided all through the application process are factual and comprehensive, you will be granted formal approval.
- After a period of one week of receiving the formal approval of immigration, you and all your dependents will receive the entry permit to stay in Hong Kong.
QMAS visa is issued for how many years?
The QMAS visa is in general issued for a time period of one year. Once the duration of one year is complete, you can be eligible to apply for the renewal. But at the time of renewal, you need to demonstrate in the duration of one year, you have added to the economic scale of the country.
If the officials agree to your point, then you might get a visa duration extension. But if at all you fail to do so, then the application for immigration gets canceled.
Who is migrated to Hong Kong under a QMAS visa from India?
Indians can migrate to Hong Kong for fulfilling their wish of working or starting an entrepreneurial project.
If you possess some of the top-notch skills and experience in the most demanding technology or something that is in the hype, then you are luckily going to be selected.
But apart from that, you need to possess the required skills and quality so that you can make it within the maximum number of the allocated applicant. However, there is no higher limit for work visas, but if you apply for a QMAS visa, then the top limit is restricted to only 1000 applicant per year according to their age and other eligibility criteria prerequisites and also of their spouse.
The process of visa application of immigration and other related methods can be tedious. So it is often recommended to get in touch with some of the qualified professionals to work on this tough part while you can just sit and relax.