Three new permanent immigration pilot programs are being implemented by the Quebec government aimed to address labour shortages.These will eventually come into effect in early 2021 after a 45-day consultation period.
The draft regulation relating to these was published on 28 October 2020.
- Pilot Program for Orderlies: This program will allow up to 550 principal applicants in a year. They are to be selected to work as nurses aides and beneficiary attendants within the province. Family members accompanying them will receive Quebec Selection Certificates as well.
- Pilot Program for Workers: This is for foreign workers in the food processing sector. It will provide a pathway to permanent immigration and will be a five-year program. Up to 550 eligible workers along with their families are to be selected each year under this.
- Pilot Program for the IT Sector: This pilot program will cover the information technology, artificial intelligence, and visual effects sectors. This will also select up to 550 candidates with their families each year like the other two programs. It will last for five years.
Changes to Application Processing Times & Immigration Programs
- A 50 permanent selection application limit has been set for the Self-Employed Program. This will be applicable for a period from 1 November 2020 to 30 September 2021.
- A 25 permanent selection application limit is acceptable under the first stream of the Entrepreneur Program. This is valid from 1 November 2020 to 30 September 2021.
- Selection criteria for immigration candidates having filed an Expression of Interest for selection under Regular Skilled Worker Program has been renewed in effect until 1 November 2021.
Alongside this, the second stream of Entrepreneur Program is suspended until next year to be improved further.
The Quebec government additionally announced major improvements in the intake procedure and regulations to other programs like the Program for Refugees Abroad (Collective Sponsorship), the Self-Employed Worker Program, and the Entrepreneur Program.
New pilot programs are being implemented to attract and retain the workforce.
Through these new pilot programs, the government of Quebec aims to “attract and retain people whose skills meet the specific needs of the Quebec labour market” and to address labour shortages in three key areas. The three pilot programs will come into effect after a 45-day consultation period.