Australia Immigration- Sub Class 489
The 489 Skilled Regional Visa, popularly, also referred to as the 489 Visa, is a temporary visa which allows applicants to live and work in Australia.
You need to possess skills and abilities which are in demand in the states or regional territories of Australia. This visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for four years.
As an applicant, you need to select an occupation from consolidated skilled occupations list in Australia and get a sponsorship from the Australian state or territory you wish to apply.
Benefits of Applying for a Subclass 489 Visa
- This visa will allow you and your family (spouse and dependent children) to
- Live and work in Australia for 4 years.
- Travel in and out of Australia until the validity of your visa.
- Apply for a permanent resident visa upon fulfilling all the required criteria
Who Can You Become Eligible To Apply For A 489 Visa
You need to fulfil the following conditions to be eligible to apply for a 489 Visa.
- You need to be under the age of 44 years.
- You need to have relevant work experience in any of the occupations which are listed in the consolidated skilled occupations list in Australia.
- You need to earn at least 65 points on Australia points test systems for immigration. These points are allocated based on your age, educational qualification,work experience in Australia and overseas, English proficiency level, nomination or sponsorship, etc.
- You need to submit an EOI or an Expression of Interest.
- You will need to obtain a positive skills assessment from any relevant assessment
- You will need to prove your English proficiency through IELTS
- You need to apply for State sponsorship.
- You will need to meet the minimum health requirements.
- You will need to meet character requirements by obtaining a positive Police Clearance Report.
Documents Required to Apply for a 489 Visa
You will need to submit the following documents along with your subclass 489 visa.
- Documentation Proving Identity and Civil Status
You need to submit your passport details along with your online application. This includes providing details such as your passport number, the date of issue and expiry of your passport, place of issue, copies of all your visas etc.
We recommend you to scan all pages of your passport while submitting your online application to ensure you do not miss out any details.
These documents help in determining your identity and civil status in your native country. You can submit the following government-issued documents along with your application for critical skills visa:
- PAN Card
- Birth Certificate
- Voter ID
- Aadhar Card
However, we recommend to submit you to submit your passport as it is a mandatory document and the most recognised government-issued document all over the world.
- Documents related to your Work Experience
Your work experience document is probably the most important documents for your 489 visaapplication.
You need to ensure that you have relevant work experience in an occupation listed in the consolidated skilled occupations list in Australia.
You can submit the following documents as evidence of your professional and occupational credentials:
- Reference letters from your current and previous employers.
- Experience letters from your current and previous employers.
- Appointment letters issued by your current and previous employers.
- Reliving letter issued by your previous employers.
- Recent pay slips or salary slips.
- Proof of membership with a professional organisation.
- Documents related to your education qualifications
- Proof of Marriage and Dependent Children
- Medical Reports
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Proof of Language Proficiency
You will also need to provide documentary evidence of your educational credentials and qualifications.
You should submit copies of your diplomas and degrees, certificates, mark sheets and transcripts, etc.
In case these documents are not in English, you will also need to get them translated into Englishbefore submission.
In case you wish to immigrate with your family, you will need to provide the immigration authorities with proof of relationship with your spouse and dependent children.
A marriage certificate acts as a proof a marriage whereas a birth certificate or any other government-issued document mentioning the name of the parents can be used as a proof of relationship with your dependent children.
You will need to undergo a medical test at a hospital or clinic in the approved list of Australian immigration authorities. You will need to under medical tests such as blood and urine test, chest x-rays, eye test and a series of physical and medical tests.
These test help in assessing your overall health and fitness required to work within your chosen occupation. These test also determine whether you're a health risk in Australia. You will need to incur pay for these additional medical test from your own pocket.
You will need to obtain a police clearance certificate from your native country and from every country you have resided formore than six months.
This document certifies a clean character stating that you are not involved in any crimes, criminal or terrorist activities, and you do not pose a danger in Australia.
The police clearance certificate should not be more than six months older than your date of application and also should have your latest photograph attached as well.
You also need to provide proof of language proficiency in English. IELTS is preferred by the immigration authorities in Australia as proof of English language proficiency.
IELTS assesses your ability to read, write, speak and listen in English.
We recommend you to score a minimum of 6 in each section. A higher score in each section will help you score higher points and make your application stronger.
How to Apply for a subclass 489 Visa
The 489 visa application is divided into multiple stages. Here are the different steps you need to undergo while applying for a subclass 489 visa to immigrate to Australia.
- Before Your Application
You need to ensure the following and undertake the following steps before making your 489 Visa application.
- You need to ensure that you have relevant work experience in an occupation listed in the consolidated skilled occupations list.
- You can either apply by yourself or get help and to opt to appoint an immigration expert to handle your application and case.
- Undergo a health check-up and examination which includes a comprehensive medical exam, chest X-rays and HIV Test.
- Submit anEOI or expression of interest to a state or territory in Australia where you wish to immigrate.
- You need to wait till you obtain an Invitation to Apply for a visa. You need to apply within 60 days of receiving an ITA.
- Preparing your Documentation
You will require and submit and wide range of documents along with your visa application.
These documents include identity documents, educational and work experience documents, medical documents, documents proving your relation with your spouse and dependent children, police clearance certificate, medical reports, etc.
- Applying for your Visa
You need to apply for your visa within 60 days of receiving your Invitation to Apply. You can follow the given steps to apply for your 489 visa.
- Log into your SkillSelect account.
- Click the button 'Apply for Visa'
- Create an ImmiAccount. The username and password of your ImmiAccountare not the same as your SkillSelect account.
- Fill in the required details and attach your documents.
- Make a payment of the Visa application fees.
- Note down the TRN or the Transaction Reference Number. You might need the same in the later stages of your application.
- After Making Your Visa Application
- After receiving your Visa
After you make your visa application, you need to wait for a decision pertaining to your application. You will not be able to check the status update of your application.
There are only two likely outcomes, i.e. you will be either granted the visa or receive a visa refusal.In case you are granted a visa, you will be informed of your visa grant number, visa validity and other conditions of your visa if any.
In case your visa application is rejected, you will be informed about the reason for rejection and whether you are eligible for a review or not.
Please note that the visa application fees are not refundable in case of rejection. There is no standard time processing time for subclass 489 Visa. However, the global average of the entire process is about 8 months.
However, the processing time can differ from case to case. You might require a longer processing time in case you need to submit additional documents at any stage of your application process.
You should make plans to move to Australia only after you are granted a visa. Please note a visa application does not guarantee the issuance of a visa.
Once you receive your visa, you can make your travel plans and move to your chosen state or territory in Australia to live and work. You can start looking for jobs from your native country or once you move to Australia,
Converting your 489 Visa into a Permanent Resident Visa
You can convert your 489 visa into a permanent resident visa if you fulfil the following requirements.
- You need to hold a valid subclass 489 visa.
- You must have resided in a specified region in Australia for at least two
- You need to fulltime work experience in Australia for at least one year.
- You need to meet the health and character requirements for a Permanent Residency Visa in Australia.
- You must have or made adequate arrangements to repay your debts to the Australian government if any.
Some of the benefits of a permanent residency visa include:
- You can live and work in Australia indefinitely.
- You can study in Australia.
- You can enrol in Medicare, which is the Australian health-care scheme.
- Sponsor eligible family members and relatives for a permanent resident
- You can apply for Australian Citizenship upon meeting all eligibility requirements.
Contact Kansas Overseas Careers
Kansas Overseas Careers is an ISO 9001-2008 immigration service company based in Hyderabad, with its operation centres spread all over India.
We are a team of immigration experts, devoted to investing our knowledge, experience, and dynamism into creating new opportunities for professionals planning for an overseas career.
We value professional approach, forward-thinking and take every step to aid our clients to achieve their immigration goals smoothly.
In case need help to understand the subclass 489 visa or any other program which allows you to immigrate to Australia or require assistance with your immigration and application process, you can contact Kansas Overseas Careers and visit any one of our offices nearest to your location.
Click here to know more about off office locations. You can also call our toll free number at 1800-102-0109, and our representative shall be happy to assist you.