2 Stages Process for UK Global Talent Visa
UK global talent visa which has started from 20th February 2020 for researchers to settle in the UK through global talent route which has replaced an Exceptional Talent visa (Tier 1)
The UK Global Talent Visa process is similar to Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa. Below is the detail application procedure to apply for it.
How can you apply for a UK Global Talent Visa?
Individuals who are qualified in their field can apply for endorsement as:
- An emerging leader (for promising workers)
- A recognised leader (for talented workers)
The individual must be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland region.
What is the application process for UK Global Talent Visa?
For getting a Global talent Visa for the UK you are required to complete the 2 stage application process. The 2 stages are:
Apply for endorsement under emerging or recognized leader category of your field to UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
2. Visa Application
Apply for Visa after endorsement is confirmed from the endorsement body.
How to apply for endorsement at the endorsement body?
You are required to apply to endorse online. The digital technology specialists apply through Tech Nation Visa endorsement.
The endorsement is a 2 stage process-
Stage 1: Endorsement:
Here you are required to complete the application form online before going to stage 2. You have to find employment or from a Business Company for a job offer based on innovation and global skill.
Stage 2: Entry clearance or leave to remain:
Here your application is reviewed for occupations that you have submitted online for endorsement.
The processing times for endorsement are 4-8 weeks.
How long can the applicant stay on this UK visa?
The applicant can opt for a stay up to a maximum of:
- 5 years of work visa with one year of additions from the outside UK
- Applicants have the option of scheduling their leaves for 1 year to a maximum 5 years.
Though the visa is Global Talent Visa replacing Exceptional Talent visa, only the word exceptional is replaced with global, but it available for researchers, entrepreneurs, highly skilled employees.
It is not available for general employment purposes.
What are the things that come under this work permit?
Here are the things which you can do with this visa:
- Work as the director of any company or an employer or be self-employed
- Job change without the involvement of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)
- Take up voluntary work
- Travel to and fro from the UK
- Settle with family members with you
Apart from these, you have several things which you cannot do on this visa:
- Take up public funds
- Be a dentist or doctor in training
- Take up the position as a sports coach or sportsperson professionally.
What are the changes seen in a Global talent visa?
The program open for science and research sector has many changes been done:
- As exceptional talent visa had 2000 application for a year, this visa type does not have any cap for applicants
- The foreign nationals have the freedom to choose the length of the visa for 1-5 years made inside or outside the UK
- The applicant can choose their leaves in the whole year till 5 years of their tenure
- If the applicant is coming or 2 years, there is no need to pay the 5-year Immigration Health Surcharge payment
- The additional 4 months is removed which raised the Health Surcharge charges
What are the eligibility criteria for a global talent visa?
The eligibility criteria for global talent visas are similar to Tier 1 (Exceptional talent) visa. They are:
- You are required to apply for endorsement as a leader or emerging leader
- Your application should be reviewed by your qualifying field "designated competent body."
- You do not have to show a minimum salary
- You can undertake business collaboration
- You do not have to prove for English Language Proficiency
What are the designated competent bodies?
The designated competent bodies based on the sector are:
- Tech Nation, for digital technology
- The Royal Academy of Engineering, for engineering
- Arts Council England, for arts and culture
- The Royal Society, for science and medicine
- The British Academy, for humanities
For skills of arts, architecture, fashion will review the application under:
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), for architecture
- British Fashion Council, for fashion
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT), for film and television
Frequently Asked Questions:
No, Global Talent Visa is similar to Australia's immigration workers program. Australia also has a global skill temporary program like the UK.
The benefits are:
- The skilled workers have the freedom to collaborate with business, startups and tech talent
- Have several settlement and benefits plan
- Dependents can work for short-term work with requirements of skills
The government has passed immigration law for permanent residency to be applied after the skilled workers meet the requirements as in Australia.
After the individuals meet the requirements of working on short-term work, the permanent residents status can be obtained by indefinite leave to remain. The government has come up with the immigration requirements for researchers and innovation job offer in the labour market.
Endorsement types are senior appointments; peer-review and fellowship are reviews by this body. Whereas the Endorsed funder are assessed directly by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) government body
UK Prime Minister announced on August 08, 2019, Mr. Boris Johnson wanted a fast track program and wanted the government to provide the requirements with immigration rules government for researchers and started 4 routes like
- Endorsed funder
- Senior appointments
Later the immigration solicitors government has informed that Global Talent Visa will replace Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa.
The skills required to have by the government are:
- Science researchers
- Engineering researchers
- Digital technology researchers