8 Facts about UK Points Based Immigration System
Anusha stands out for in-depth knowledge of Canada, UK and Australia visa process. With 7+years of experience, she adds a lot of worth to the team.
On January 31, 2020 UK has exited from the European Union (EU) to fulfill the promises to the British public.
Now the UK government has come up with a point based immigration policy to get high skilled workers to the UK.
You have landed in the right place wherein you will get the details of the UK point based system, which is starting from January 01, 2021.
1. What is the UK point based immigration program?
The point based system which aims to get a high wage, high skill, and high productivity economy for their citizens similar to Australian aim.
The new proposed point based system requires 70 points to get eligible for foreign nationals to work in Britain.
2. What are the minimum requirements for this program?
The minimum requirements for getting into the program are:
- Age requirement 18 years old and above
- Education qualifications as a minimum bachelor's degree, master's degree to PhD relevant field of job
- Job listed in a shortage occupation
- English Language Proficiency
- Work Experience in the relevant field of study
3. Who are the eligible criteria for the point based UK immigration program?
The eligibility criteria for UK immigration program are:
- Earn more than the minimum salary threshold
- Get 70 points in the point based system
- EU citizens living in the UK till December 30, 2020
- Job offer from an approved sponsor
- A job offer at the required skill
- Mandatory to speak English
4. What is the UK point based system calculator?
The simple, flexible, and effective employer-led point based system for skilled workers from all around the world.
This system is similar to the Australian Point based system to migrate individuals to Australia.
This point based system is for both non-EU, EU citizens, and non-visa nationals need to show the points to migrate into the UK.
There are several factors or characteristics among which are tradeable, i.e., require. This is decided by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC).
5. What are the point allocations for the immigration system?
Below is the table with the proposed point system
|Offer of job by approved sponsor||No||20|
|Job at the appropriate skill level||No||20|
|Speaks English at the required level||No||10|
|Salary of £20,480 (minimum) – £23,039||Yes||0|
|Salary of £23,040 – £25,599||Yes||10|
|Salary of £25,600 or above||Yes||20|
|Job in a shortage occupation||Yes||20|
|Education qualification: PhD in the subject relevant to the job||Yes||10|
|Education qualifications: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job||Yes||20|
6. What is the visa process of this visa?
The visa process for these immigration skills is narrowed up and processed faster than compared to other programs.
The steps for this visa are:
Step 1: Fill the application form online for both EU citizens and non-EU citizens
Step 2: Non-EU citizens need to give their biometrics at the Visa Application Centre.
EU citizen will do the facial biometrics using smartphones and fingerprints are not required
Step 3: After the review of the point system, they will receive e-visa, which confirms they can enter the UK.
Step 4: After entering the UK in Jan 2021 and later, the indefinite leave to remain is granted.
7. What is the processing time for a visa?
The processing time for this type of visa is streamlined from other work visas, and migrants can get the permit in 8 weeks.
Additional systems are going on to reduce the time further.
8. What is the minimum salary and skill threshold for this program?
According to MAC, the lower salary threshold is from £30,000 to £25,600. The applicant should be paid with a higher salary range in their occupation skilled.
The skill threshold cap has been waived off and get many immigrants by skilled workers route. The resident labor market test is also removed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is the program starting from?
The Britain prime minister has announced the commencement of the point based immigration visa system is on January 01, 2021 and applicants can start their process immediately. This was the declaration from the UK after Brexit.
2. Why did the UK’s points-based system start?
This was started to get a fair and firm point-based system that will attract full-time jobs employees of their country to apply for UK visas.
This will enhance the country's businesses by contributing to the economy and the number of public services.
3. What about the low skilled workers?
Several manifestations are apply to reduce the lower-skilled immigration number and thus stop the free flow of lower-skilled workers in the UK. This decision was taken based on the number of factors.
MAC is sure with the absence of the lower-skilled migration around 170,000 non-EU citizens will arrive the UK on migration
4. Who can cross the border?
The country like Australia, Canada, Japan, the USA, New Zealand, Singapore, etc. can enter the UK with their biometrics passport.
5. What are the other initiatives?
To bring in scientists, graduates, NHS workers, and other sector workers for agriculture labour by providing businesses for the flexible short term.
6. What are the trade characteristics?
The characteristics which could be traded are specific job offer and qualifications with a lower salary.
7. What is MAC analysis for points-based system migration systems?
MAC has revised the impact of skills and salary on the EEA migrant population. The settlement scheme was opened for all in March 2019. The further scheme will be commencing from January 2021.
8. What is the expanding pilot scheme?
This is for the seasonal workers in agriculture to increase in 4 fold number by 10,000 places. The mobility program provides lower-skilled work temporary workers to get a visa from the UK government.
9. Why is criminality important?
After the transition period ends, the immigration system will start with a single, consistent, and firm way for criminality approach.
10. What is the common thought between the Australian government and the UK government?
The common thought between the Australian government and the UK government is to get high-skilled workers who speak English. The Australian government thus starts with social care, which helps the skilled worker.