Ontario Provincial Nominee Program
Ontario is a province with a good population. Nearly 40% of Canadians live in the province of Ontario. Canada's capital city, Ottawa and Canada's primary business and financial centre Toronto are located in this province.
The economic, social and liberal political factors of this province attract thousands of immigrants in choosing Ontario as their new home. Many successful immigrants term this province as the most multicultural province in Canada.
Moreover, the province offers numerous pathways for immigrants to obtain permanent residency status and settle in the province for a long period of time.
All these pathways are bonded by 1 program known as the Ontario Immigration Nominee Program.
What is the Ontario Provincial Nominee Program?
The Ontario Immigration Nominee Program (OINP) is a program designed to cater to the needs of skilled labour of the Ontario province.
Foreign workers and international students with the right skills and work experience are allowed to seek a nomination that makes their PR easy.
The features of this program are as follows:
- This program is operated by the Government of Ontario in association with the Federal Government through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
- This program is designed to meet the labour market and the economic needs of the province.
- The initiative to the introduction of OINP is that it facilitates the immigration process of qualified non-Canadian nationals and accompanying family members to the province.
- This program acts as a fast track method to Canada immigration when applied under the Express Entry stream.
- The opportunities created by this provincial program are first of its kind in building job prospects for eligible candidates.
- Through the entrepreneur category, this provincial program aims to attract new investment that will eventually lead to the economic development of Ontario.
What are the benefits of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program?
- This program attracts a good number of the immigrant population.
- It is a fast track method for candidates to get Canada PR.
- The ONP decides within 60 days. This saves a good amount of time on the immigration process (the final process after the decision takes 7 to 8 months).
- Candidates can demonstrate proficiency in another way instead of the Federal language test.
- This provincial province does not bound a candidate to live in Ontario during the application process. Once the candidate proofs it evidently that he has a serious intention to live and work in Ontario, he can live anywhere in Canada till he receives his PR.
What are the categories of the Provincial Nominee Program?
There are six categories of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program. Candidates can apply through any of these based on their eligibility and purpose of migration.
Each of them has its own individual sets of requirements for who can qualify. Also, each category has various sub-categories and the criteria for each may also differ.
Check the categories of OINP and their details below:
1. General Category
General Category is the most commonly applied and broadest immigration category of the OINP. Through this visa stream, employers of Ontario can hire foreign skilled workers for occupations that fall under the NOC 0, A or B level.
For this program, both employer and the candidate seeking nomination must submit an application. Both parties are required to meet specific eligibility requirements.
Upon successful approval, the nomination certificate is used to the candidate under the General Category of Ontario PNP.
Requirements for applicants:
- Must possess at least 2 years of paid and verified work experience (gained within the past 5 years) in the nominated occupation. In case the candidate chooses a regulated occupation in Ontario, he must have required registration in the province.
- Must have a permanent full-time job offer in the occupation of NOC 0, A or B level from an employer-based in Ontario. This must be supported by the application employer initially submits to Opportunities Ontario (which must be valid until the employee's application is approved).
- If living in Canada while applying for the OINP nomination, the applicant must have a legal status and live lawfully in Canada.
- A Joint Verification form signed by the employer of Ontario is also required.
- A pre-screen position form may be asked.
Requirements for employers:
- The employer sponsoring offer letter must be into a business that is active for the past 3 years or more.
- The employer has a gross revenue of at least $1,000,000 with at least 5 permanent full-time employees (for his companies in Greater Toronto Area) and gross revenue of at least $500,000 with at least 3 permanent full-time employees (for companies outside the stated area).
- The offered job must be located in Ontario.
- The job offered must be in a necessary position for the operation of the company. The hiring of the candidate does not adversely affect employment or training opportunities of Canadian citizens and its PR holders.
2. International Students Category
This category is for international students (recent graduates) who want to reside in Ontario and nominate themselves for a Canada PR through OINP.
This category is popular among recent graduates of several universities, namely - University of Western Ontario (UWO), University of Ottawa, University of Toronto (U of T), Ryerson University, University of Waterloo (U of W), Brock University, McMaster University, Wilfred Laurier University (WLU), University of Guelph, Carleton University, Queen's University, York University, and University of Windsor.
This category has 3 streams:
Pilot International Masters Graduate Stream
This is only a pilot program. Only 1000 applicants are accepted through this program. The benefit is that students will not need a job offer if they can meet the below requirements:
- Intend to live and work in Ontario.
- Graduated from an existing Master's program by attending a public University in Ontario.
- Must apply after completing 1 full academic year.
- The application must be submitted no later than 2 years from the date of completion of a Master's Degree. Students allowed to submit their OINP application during the last semester of their program.
- The student must be residing in Ontario with legal status. Also, he should have a stay in Ontario for 1 year in the past 2 years.
- The student must be proficient in English or French.
- The student must be able to demonstrate sufficient savings.
- Must have no plans for further studies in Ontario (as the main activity). Only regulated occupation professionals are allowed for further study.
International Ph.D. Students Stream
This stream also does not require a job offer provided that the candidate meets the below requirements.
- Must have graduated from an existing Ph.D. course in Ontario from a public University of the province.
- The Application must be submitted within 2 years from the Ph.D. was received.
- Applicants must hold a legal status if residing in Canada.
Employer Job Offer: International Student Stream
This program is specifically for candidates who hold a job offer.
To be eligible, the basic criteria are:
- To have a diploma or degree from an eligible college or University.
- To have a job offer from an Ontario employer in NOC Skill Type 0, A, or B.
- To get a job offer from an employer who is verified and approved by Opportunities Ontario.
3. Ontario Corporate Stream
This stream was designed in 2015 to support the interest of international corporates in expanding its business in Ontario. Through this program, international corporates can either buy and continue an existing corporation or establish a new one in the province of Ontario.
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program Corporate Stream gives a quick pathway for corporates owners to become permanent residents.
After they have established their corporations in Ontario through an eligible temporary investor program, they can be nominated for a Canadian PR visa.
However, to do so, the applying candidate must fulfil the below requirements:
- The establishing corporation must have an investment of $ 5 million or more in an existing or new business of Ontario.
- The corporation must provide at least 5 permanent full-time jobs for Canadian permanent residents or citizens.
- The candidate seeking for OINP nomination must be a key official in the operations of business established or purchased in Ontario.
- Must be able to meet the English language requirements of the OINP program.
- The corporation must have successful operations with a proven record of over 36 months or more.
- Must hold a 2-year Temporary Work permit from Citizenship and Immigration (Canada) before applying for PR status.
Depending upon the corporation they set up, several other conditions may also be applicable.
4. Ontario Entrepreneur Stream
This program is primarily a replacement to the OINP Investor stream which was closed in 2015. This stream helps entrepreneurs to buy an existing business or set up a new business in Ontario.
The requirements of this stream are relatively similar to the requirements of the Ontario Stream.
However, here are key point applicants must know:
- If the business is located in Greater Toronto Area (GTA) a minimum investment of $1,000,000 is required (except that the business is in digital media or ICT sector).
- If the entrepreneur has a business partner who wants to be nominated along with the primary application, he must also invest either $CAD 500 thousand or $CAD1 million.
- Each candidate seeking nomination must have a net worth of $CAD 800,000 minimum and higher if the business is located in Greater Toronto Area.
- The business creates at least 2 permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- The entrepreneur must prove an experience of at least 3 years in senior management or business ownership.
- A time of 24 months is given to business owners (and partners if applying) to meet the stated requirements.
Alongside, several other conditions are applicable based on the nature of business the entrepreneurs seek to establish in Ontario.
5. Human Capital Priorities Stream
This is an OINP category is a pathway for the province to select potential candidates from the Express Entry pool. Candidates are nominated based on core human capital factors like age, education, work experience and their ability to contribute to Ontario's labour market stream.
The requirements of this program are relatively similar to the requirements of the General Category. The major difference is that you will have to apply through the Express Entry portal whereas under the General category there is no such obligation.
To understand the comprehensive details of this program, it is best to consult our Canada immigration consultant online.
6. French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
This stream is specifically for candidates who have proficiency in French. Candidates can apply for nomination through this stream upon meeting the eligibility criteria of Express Entry.
All requirements must be following the Express Entry requirements along with French language test criteria.
7. Investors Category (Closed)
This program is currently closed. Instead of this program, investors can either use the Ontario entrepreneur stream of the Ontario corporate stream after meeting the stated requirements.
What are the requirements for Ontario PNP?
While we have stated the requirements in detailed under each category (above), the basic requirements are as follows:
- At least Bachelor's Degree.
- Work experience.
- Legal status.
- Language skills.
- CRS of 400 or more (specifically for Express Entry category).
- Investment (for the business category).
- Fund maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ontario PNP
1. Can I apply for PR without IELTS?
Language proficiency is a key component of Canada immigration. Skilled workers are required to attempt IELTS and score at least 6 CLB in IELTS.
2. Can I apply Ontario PNP without Express Entry?
You can apply for Ontario without Express Entry through the General category.
However, you are required to have a job offer to do so. It is important to note that you need a full-time permanent job offer in an occupation that falls under NOC 0, A or B. The job offer must be approved by Immigration Ontario before you apply.
Also, the sponsoring employer must submit an application along with you for the nomination.
If you do not have a job offer, you can apply through the Masters Student Steam or the Ph.D. Student Stream.
3. How much does Ontario PNP cost?
The cost of applying for OINP nomination from India (for skilled workers through the Human Capital stream) is as follows:
- $1500 if the job offer is outside the Greater Toronto Area.
- $2000 if the job offer is within the Greater Toronto Area.
What careers are in demand in Ontario?
Applicants who fall under the below categories are high in demand in Ontario:
- NOC 3413 - nurse aides, orderlies, and patient service associates.
- NOC 4412 - home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers.
- NOC 7441 - residential and commercial installers and servicers
- NOC 7511 - transport truck drivers.
- NOC 7521 - heavy equipment operators (except crane).
- NOC 7611 - construction trades helpers and labourers.
- NOC 8431 - general farmworkers.
- NOC 8432 - nursery and greenhouse workers.
- NOC 8611 - harvesting labourers.
- NOC 9462 - industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers.
How to apply for the OINP nomination in India?
- There are various programs for foreign workers to apply for the Ontario PNP nomination, the process of each varies accordingly. Skilled workers can apply through Express Entry or directly to the province. Similarly, business owners and recent graduates are also allowed to apply to the province directly.
- Understand the application procedure according to your occupation and profile, get a free consultation from our immigration experts. Reach out to us on 1800-102-0109 or write to us at [email protected].