5 Steps Process to get welcomed with a UK Student Visa
Are you planning to get the best world-class education at a lesser price? Then, you are in need of a UK Student Visa. Yes, the UK or Britain is the World's 2nd most international study destination for many students.
Yearly, the country is welcoming nearly 460,000 international students. The leading education system and a generous range of education degrees make the country most happening for the students to study in UK.
Also, the cost of living is much affordable and helps the student to survive easily in the country. And, once the education is completed, one can get settled in easily as there is no lack of employment opportunities.
Below find the table describing students' arrival from the top ten Non-European countries.
Top Ten non-EU sending countries
|United States of America||16,485||16,215||17,115||17,580||18,885|
Let us now discuss a few important points so that you can easily become part of the UK and get your career to enlighten with the best opportunities.
1. What are the types of UK Student Visas?
The Government of the UK is popularly known for providing better opportunities for Indian students to study and work. However, to obtain a student visa first, you need to choose the visa type as per your eligibility and needs.
|Student Visa Type||Purpose||Good time to apply||Arrival time in the UK|
|General Student Visa (Tier 4)||For the students who are of ages 16 or more; and have received an offer from a UK Educational institution for a Course.||Best to apply before three months of the course start date||If the course lasts 6 months or less, need to arrive a week before. If the course lasts more than 6 months, then need to arrive a month before.|
|Child Student Visa(Tier 4)||For the students who are between the ages of 4 and 17; and have a course offer from a UK Educational Institution with a valid Tier 4 sponsor.||Best to apply before three months from the course start date.||If your course if for six months or less, you need to arrive before a week. If the course is for more than six months, then need to arrive in a month.|
|Short-term study visa||For the students who are planning a short-term course for an English language course or training.||Best time to apply before three months from the traveling date.||As per your nominated travel dates|
|Tier 4 (General)student visa||For the students with an offer to place a course at an educational institution with a Tier 4 Sponsor.||Best to apply before three months from the date of course commencement.||If the course lasts for over six months, then need to arrive before a month.|
2. What are the qualification requirements for UK Student Visa?
The qualifications which are needed for your UK Student Visa depends upon the course you are planning to study in UK. In your own country, you should complete at least 13 years of education and need to be equivalent to the pre-university qualifications of UK A-Levels, Scottish Highers, or National Diplomas.
- The entry requirements if you are planning for studying a UK undergraduate study:
- HND: One to two UK A-levels, two Scottish Higher Degrees or a BTEC National Diploma or Higher National Certificate, or an international foundation year with IELTS range 5.5 – 6.0.
- Foundation Degree: One to two UK A-levels, one or two Scottish Higher Degrees or a National Diploma or an international foundation year with IELTS range 5.5 – 6.0.
- Diploma of Higher Education: One to two UK A-levels, two or three Scottish Higher Degrees, or an international foundation year with IELTS range 5.5 – 6.0.
- Bachelor's Degree: Two or three UK A-levels, three to four Scottish Higher Degrees or a National Certificate or Diploma, or BTEC National Diploma; or an international foundation year with IELTS range 6.0 – 6.5.
- The entry requirements if you are planning for studying a UK postgraduate or MBA study:
- Pre-master's degree: An under-graduation with IELTS 5.0-5.5.
- PG Certificate/PG Diploma: An under-graduation degree or a pre-masters course with an IELTS score of 6.5-7.0
- Master's Degree: First or Second class under-graduation degree or pre-master's course with IELTS scores of 7.0.
- MBA: 2-3 Years Business Experience, First Class degree with IELTS range of 6.5-7.0.
- Ph.D.: Master's Degree with IELTS range of 6.5-7.0.
- Entry requirements for studying career-based and pre-university study
- BTEC National Diploma: High school education equivalent to four GCSEs grades A-C, with IELTS range of 4.5-5.0
- AS/A-levels: General high school education equivalent to five GCSEs grades A-C, with IELTS range from 4.5-5.0
- Scottish Higher/Advanced Higher: General high school equivalent to six Standard Grade qualifications grades 1-3, with IELTS range 4.5-5.0
- International Foundation Year: Twelve years of school education or equal in your own country, with IELTS range 4.5-5.0
- HND: One or two UK A-levels, two or three Scottish Highers or a BTEC National Diploma or an international foundation year with IELTS range 5.5-6.0
- Foundation Degree: One or two UK A-levels, two or three Scottish Highers or a BTEC National Diploma or an international foundation year with IELTS range 5.5-6.0
Below find the table illustrating the top 10 UK Institutions recruiting international students in 2017-2018.
|Top 10 UK Institutions recruiting International Students in 2017-2018|
|Institution||Postgraduate research students||Postgraduate taught students||Undergraduate students (1st degree and 'other UG')||Total number of international students|
|University College London||2,240||6,595||9,155||17,990|
|The University of Manchester||1,880||4,150||7,725||13,750|
|The University of Edinburgh||1,850||3,975||6,195||12,025|
|Kings College London||940||4,175||6,060||11,175|
|Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine||2,105||2,925||4,535||9,560|
|University of the Arts, London||55||2,325||6,790||9,175|
|The University of Warwick||795||3,670||4,525||8,990|
|The University of Sheffield||1,265||3,755||3,950||8,965|
|The University of Glasgow||1,000||3,640||4,090||8,815|
3. How to apply for UK Student Visa?
To obtain a UK Student Visa, you are needed to follow a step-by-step process. Usually, the UK student visas are processed within a time span of three weeks from the application lodge.
Step 1: Get your eligibility check
You should be able to provide a "confirmation of acceptance for studies"(CAS). Also, you need to prove financial status, i.e., your maintenance or funds for covering your course fees, tuition fees, and living costs.
Step 2: Get ready with all documents
Submission of all required documents is mandatory. Hence, be sure while gathering all documents.
Step 3: Apply for the visa online
Get registered on the official UK Visa website and create an account. Then, complete your online application form and take a print for signing on them. Make use of the online appointment calendar and fix an appointment at the visa center. Once you are done, you will receive an email containing your application number.
Step 4: Visa Fee Payment
You can make your payments in four ways, i.e., through Payment at Standard Chartered Bank, Demand draft from a nationalized or foreign bank or payment at the visa application center, or by paying online.
Step 5: Visiting the Visa Application Center
Do not fail to visit the visa application center on your appointment date. Submit your application now by submitting the required documents, photographs, and fingerprints.
4. What is UK Point-based Visa System?
The educational government of the United Kingdom follows a point-based visa system. It is essential for the candidates to meet the requirements as set by the UK immigration rules and need to score a total of 40 points.
|Students should have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from a fully licensed Tier 4 sponsor||30 points|
|Students must have enough money for covering the course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)||10 points|
5. What are the documents required for UK Student Visa?
While applying for the Tier 4 visa, it is required for you to submit a set of documents. Documents are one of the most important factors to state your visa approval. Hence be careful to provide every needful document as needed.
- Your valid passport with travel documentation.
- Fund requirements and documents stating that you are capable of managing the expenses during your course.
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), the reference number, and the documents which have been processed for obtaining CAS.
- Your passport size color photographs.
- If required, need to screen a tuberculosis test.
- Your profile assessment document.
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), Clearance Certificate (if required)
- Additional documents are required if you aren’t a citizen of the country you are applying from, or you are under the age of 18 or have dependents accompanying.
There may be even more documents needed for completing your visa process. It is better to contact an immigration consultant and proceed ahead for the procedure.
Below find the table stating the top 10 subject areas chosen by the International Students in 2017-2018.
|Top 10 Subject Areas chosen by International Students in 2017-2018|
|Subject||No of Students Chosen the subject area|
|Business & administrative studies||126,955|
|Engineering and technology||52,635|
|Creative arts and design||32,455|
|Subjects allied to medicine||21,720|
6. Can a UK Student Visa be extended?
Yes, a UK Student Visa can be extended if you are in the UK, meet the required eligibility requirements, and have a sponsor for sponsorship.
Eligibility requirements for the sponsor
In order to meet the eligibility of visa extension, your sponsor is a:
- a higher education institute (HEI)
- an embedded college offering various courses
- an overseas HEI
- an independent school.
7. What is the fee requirement for UK Student Visa?
The fee requirement for the Tier 4 General Visa is £348. And, if any dependents are added, you need to pay £348 per person (any dependent). You can make the payment for the Tier 4 visa by the following methods of payments:
- Online by using a Visa card or MasterCard
- Demand draft
- Paying cash at the Visa Application Center.
8. Can you work in the UK with a student visa?
Yes, you can work on a UK Student visa if you are moving to the UK on Tier 4 (General) Student Visa or a Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa. A short-term study visa will not be allowing a candidate to work in the country.
With Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, you can take up for almost all forms of employment as per your course level and from where you are studying. However, there are a few restrictions for you to choose a job type.
In order to work on Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa, you need to be 16 or more. You will be able to work for up to 10 hours per week during full-time and term-time vacations. Also, you are eligible for taking up a work placement as part of the course.
9. Can you study in the UK without IELTS?
English proficiency is one of the most important requirements for obtaining a Tier 4 (General) Student visa.
However, there are a few UK universities that can waive off the IELTS Test. If you are planning for such UK universities, then you need to obtain a document that you are eligible from the university.
Below mentioning a few of the cases, where you can be exempted taking up the IELTS test:
- If the university considers your English score in high school, i.e., with 60% in 10th and 12th, you can get your application accepted by the university.
- If your prior education is in the English language only.
- An online interview can help you skip the IELTS test. A few UK universities allow candidates to take up an online interview through Skype.
10. Can I get succeeded in UK Student Visa with Kansas?
Kansas Overseas Careers is the leading immigration consultancy known for providing exceptional immigration services. With years of experience, visa consultants are experts in solving every query related to overseas education.
Are you searching for the consultants who can guide from the initial to the end of the process, then the study visa consultants of Kansas Overseas Careers can be the best option.
We have initiated our services with the sole dream of fulfilling the hope or ambition of global aspirants. We help the students in exploring the various education opportunities which are available in various foreign countries.
We are the ideal platform for many as we provide the best career counseling, visa processing, and help further in your travel and accommodation.
If you are interested to know more about our study visa services, then feel free to reach by dropping a query to email@example.com.