A Simple Guide to apply the US Tourist Visa from India
Planning to grab the best attractions in the world? Why don’t you apply for the USA visit visa and visualize the most spectacular places around?
The Trump Administration has made significant changes and restrictions to too many visa types, and visit visas are the one of the types remaining similar to before.
The United States is a great destination to visit. People regularly move to and fro from the country with a visit visa. Most of them come to enjoy and get mesmerized with its beautiful weather conditions, while others come on special occasions, to attend events, for medical treatments, visit family members, etc.
The visitors' count is always increasing in the country, and the below information is a clear picture to support the visitors’ increase.
“The US visit visa is a non-immigrant temporary visa helping foreign nationals to visit the country on tourism, medical treatments, special events, etc. The visa is even popularly known as B1-B2 or B2 visa for USA.”
1. What are the interesting facts of the US visitor visa?
The US Visitor Visa is one of the popular visa types helping many people around the world to visit the United States. The country is having many great places and the best natural beauties all around.
Here are a few interesting facts about this amazing visit visa category:
- The US visitor visa or the tourist visa is much popularly known as the B1-B2 or B2 visa for the USA.
- The tourist visa is subject to approval.
- First, it has to be applied and after obtaining the approval, you should get the visa stamped on the passport.
- The visa grant is issued based on your purpose. The purpose should include tourism, visiting relatives, medical treatment, etc.
- If planning to enter the US on the purpose of business, then you need to apply for a B1 visa and get approved.
- If planning to visit the USA on the purpose of a vacation, medical treatment, etc., then you should apply for B2 Visa.
The maximum duration to stay is 6 months with a tourist visa. However, it can be extended for more 6 months by applying to the USCIS for visitor visa extension.
2. How to determine whether a US tourist visa is required or not?
The US tourist visa is suitable for candidates moving to the US for various purposes. The visit visas are the only visa types of United States without any cap.
The only requirement for the US visit visas is to qualify and meet the requirements. Also, before moving into the application process, you need to check whether you can apply for the visa or not.
The US government has set a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) where the citizens living from a few specific countries can travel to the US for up to 90 days without a visa.
Hence, if you are a citizen from such a region, then you can directly follow a simple procedure and apply for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).
However, your purpose of the visit is also an essential factor for receiving visa approval. Below find a few of the activities in which you can engage with the US tourist visa.
- If traveling on a holiday purpose.
- Planning to meet your family members or friends.
- If participating in any social events hosted by some organizations.
- Visiting the US on the purpose of medical treatment.
- If enrolled in any short-study courses, etc.
Below find the table illustrating the country names eligible to travel the United States with the Visa Waiver Program:
3. What are the documents required for processing the US Visit Visa?
Below are the documents which are needed while processing the US visit visa application:
- A valid passport.
- Your recent photograph.
- Confirmation page and code of Form DS-160.
- Visa fee receipts.
- Confirmation page of the scheduled interview.
- A letter describing the purpose of your trip.
- Financial Proofs.
- Your ties for returning to your home country.
- Documents that prove you do not include in any criminal records.
- Transcriptions or certificates (if applying as a student).
- Medical Certificates and treatment letters (if you are visiting for treatment).
4. What are the 6 Easy Steps to apply for USA Visitor Visa?
Step 1: Need for a digitalized photo of every traveling applicant
While applying for the US visitor visa, it is a need for you to submit the digitalized photocopy. Also, it should meet the requirement set by the US immigration government.
Below find the requirements needed for USA Visitor Visa:
- The photocopy shape needs to be in the square.
- It should hold a minimum dimension of 600 pixels by 600 pixels.
- The maximum dimension has to be 1200 pixels by 1200 pixels.
- The color of the image has to be 24 bits per pixel.
- The format of the image has to be in JPEG.
- The size of the image needs to e less or equal to 240 kilobytes.
Do you know?
A few embassies and consulates have restricted the need of digital photography in the DS-160 form. However, the photocopy is taken up either at the Offsite Facilitation Centre (OFC) or Application Service centre (ASC) with a fingerprint.
Step 2: Fill the complete DS160 Visa Application Form
The DS 160 Form has to be completed online. Once you are done with the form filling, you will be receiving confirmation with a 10 digit barcode.
It is better to print the page as it may be needed while setting up a visa interview appointment.
“The DS 160 application form is set with a “20 minutes timeout”. Hence, you need to be accurate and vigilant while applying and saving the application form.”
Step 3: Fee Payment for the Visa Application
|Type of Visa||Fee in US Dollars||Fee in Indian Rupees|
|US Visit Visa (B1 and B2 Visa)||$160||Rs 11,406 (approx.)|
The visa application fee can be paid as a bank transfer or as cash to the allotted bank branches throughout the country.
However, to experience a proper gateway, create your profile on the US visa service website and select the option of Schedule Appointment.
At the confirmation screen of the payment, you will be provided with options for successful payments. From the date of payment, the fee is good for a year; hence, take an interview appointment within this time.
“Effective from September 26, 2012 the US visa process in India had declared the following payments modes to choose while paying the application fee:
Bank Electronic Payment via NEFT
Mobile Payments IMPS
Cash payment at CitiBank or Axis bank”
Step 4: Schedule Visa Interview Appointment
Once you are done with your fee payments, the next step is to arrange appointments. You need to schedule two visa interview appointments.
One interview is conducted with the Offsite Facilitation Centre (OFC) for receiving information related to Biometrics, fingerprint, and photograph.
The other interview is with the Consulate or the Embassy for a personal visa interview.
What are the things needed while scheduling a visa interview?
A valid Passport
Visa payment receipt
Confirmation of DS 160 Form
Step 5: Fingerprint at Visa Application Centre
After completing the personal interview, you need to schedule an appointment at least one or two days before the consulate interview. As per the new rules, biometrics has to be taken at VAC.
Biometrics Waiver Program
Children below the age group of 14 years and persons over 79 are exempted from biometrics. It is even waived off for people with abnormality, scarred fingers, burnt fingers, etc.
Step 6: Go for your scheduled visa interview with the designated US Consulate
While going for the interview, carry all required documents to support your visa process. Failing to attend the scheduled interview can make you get considered as “No-Show” Applicants.
You may have your visa fee receipt deactivated. And, to re-activate it again, you should wait for two working days. The visa fee, which is valid for a year, can entitle to appear once at the consulate or the embassy for an interview.
5. What is the processing time of the B2 US tourist visa?
The processing time for B2 Visit Visa takes up from a few weeks to months to process. It majorly depends on the work pressure of the US Embassy while you are applying.
If you do not receive any update from the Embassy on your visa application, then be patient until the embassy informs about the visa application status.
4 Things you must avoid while processing US tourist visa
- Giving inappropriate or fraud information
- Having a criminal record
- No violation on immigration rules in the past
- Shouldn’t be found inadmissible for the visa
While arriving at the country, the immigration officer decides the duration of stay in the US. However, the maximum period which is granted for B1 and B2 Visas is 6 months.
After the visa is expired, you need to return to your home country. If you wish to stay more, you need to apply for a visa extension.
6. How to extend the visa period of B1 Visa?
The B1 visa is granted with a maximum stay of 6 months. If you wish to extend it, you can get for a maximum of 6 months more. On the whole, you can stay a year with the B1 status.
The period of stay, as mentioned in the I-94 Form, is a maximum of 6 months. In order to extend, you have to file a Form I-539 Application. It is an application granting extend/change in non-immigrant programs.
7. How to extend the visa period of B2 Visa?
Similar to the B1 visa, a B2 visa is also granted for a maximum of 6 months. With a plan of extending, it can be extended for an additional 6 months.
And, for this, filing the I-539 Application with relevant supporting documents is necessary.
8. Can parents be invited to the US with a B2 visa?
Yes, parents can be invited to the US with your invitation if you are living in the United States as a student or a worker. Your parents need to follow the visa process to get an entry for the US with a B2 visa.
The process is much similar to the general B2 visa, and the difference is only in the supporting documents. Below find the documents requirement:
- Your parents need to have a valid passport.
- Should complete the DS-160 Form.
- As a sponsor, you need to present financial documents to support your parents to stay in the US.
- Employment verification letter issued by your current employer.
- An invitation letter written by you to invite your parents to visit the US.
9. Want to know more about US visit visas?
If you are interested to know more about the visit visas of the United States, then you can feel free to reach the immigration consultants of Kansas Overseas Careers.
Kansas Overseas Careers is one of the leading immigration consultancies assisting a number of immigration programs. With the support received a number of people have successfully reached their dream destination.
If you are also planning to fly high for reaching your destination, then feel free to speak to the immigration consultants of Kansas Overseas. You can call the toll-free number or fill the counseling form for assistance.