In pursuit of high-quality education that is combined with practical training, Indian students are attracted to international students.
Countries like Canada, Australia, United States, Germany and the United Kingdom have been the top preferences of Indian students when it comes to global studies.
As every country has its own criteria of admitting students and a set of immigration rules to be followed, this guide is being written with an aim to give you an understanding about each of them.
However, before we get started with the detailed description of top countries student visas, lets first understand the major aspects of a student visa through frequently asked question.
1. Do you need a visa to study abroad?
Yes. Every student needs to apply for a study visa before he can move to any foreign country for education, irrespective of whether it is a short-term course or a long-term course.
2. What are the requirements for a study visa?
As different countries have different requirement, the most common and major requirement of a student visa is a Letter of Acceptance from a University based in the applying country.
3. How long does it take to get a student visa?
The processing time of a student visa primarily depends upon the type of visa you choose. However, in general, it may take up to a few weeks to months to get your student visa process (based on visa type and case file).
4. How long is the student visa valid for?
Usually, a student visa is valid up to the duration of your course study. In case your study visa expires before your course is completed, you will have to renew your study permit. You are required to apply for a renewal permit at least 30 days before your study permit expires.
5. Is it allowed to work on a student visa?
Yes. Most countries and Universities allow their foreign students to either work on-campus or off-campus (part-time). Students are generally given a 20 hours a week work permission on a student visa.
6. Can my family stay with me on my student visa?
Yes. Family members of students are allowed to stay with the study visa holder, provided that they apply for a separate dependent visa. It is important to note that the accompanying family members are not allowed to work unless they have a valid work permit.
7. Which type of student visa do I need?
The type of student visa you will require depending upon the country you have selected and your course study. In general, the student visa classifications are done:
- Based on program’s duration: Short-term visas (which are valid for 90 days and used for short courses or diploma courses) and Long-term visas (which are valid for over 3 months and used for degree courses, internships, certificate programs, etc.).
- Based on type of student/program: Some countries classify visas based on the type of student or program. For instance, it could be an undergraduate program, doctoral program, graduate student, exchange student, etc.
The below visa details will help you in choosing the type of visa, primarily if you are planning to study in Canada, Australia, United States, Germany and the United Kingdom.
1. Study Visa for the United States
The United States is one of the top chosen destinations for overseas education. Here is detailed information about the United States study visa that may help you during your application:
Types of US study visa:
There are 3 types of visas US offers to its immigrant students:
- F1 Student Visa:
This is the most commonly applied visa program. Students who are enrolling in a course study that is more than 18 hours a week must apply for an F1 visa. This visa is issued to both undergraduate programs and graduate programs. Applicants who want to move to the United States for higher studies with spouse must apply for an F-2 visa (dependent visa).
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa:
This visa is for students who want to move to the United States for an exchange program. This visa is usually applied by students when they have to attend any vocational training or take up a research fellowship. Spouses accompanying are required to apply for a J-2 Visa and are usually allowed to work on this visa (upon granted permission).
- M1- Vocational/Non-Academic Student Visa:
This visa is granted specifically to students who are enrolling in vocational or technical schools. Though this visa is similar to the F1 visa, it is time-stamped and visa holders cannot overstay in the United States.
Cost/Fees of US Study Visa
US Study Visa Fee Details 2020
|Factors||F1 Visa||J1 Visa||M1 Visa|
|MRV application or visa application fee||$160||$160||$160|
Note: Spouses of F1 and J1 visa holders (who are moving to US on F2 and J2 visas respectively) are not required to pay the SEVIS fees.
Documents required for US study visa
When applying for a US student visa, you are required to submit several supporting documents (academic-related and financial proof) along with your visa application.
While a study visa counsellor is the best person to guide you with a customized checklist based upon your case, here is a quick reading to what you may require:
- Valid passport (with a validity date of at least 6 months ahead of your stay).
- Online application form (DS-160 printed copy).
- Interview appointment letter (original as well as a copy).
- Form I-20 (letter of acceptance by the applied college).
- Receipt of visa fee payment.
- Mark sheets and academic certificates.
- English Language Test Score Card.
- Payslips (if applicable).
- Bank statements to prove that you have enough assets or funds to manage your study and stay in the United States.
- Evidence of financial resources like (tax returns, scholarship letter, loan approval letter or similar).
- Documents of the spouse along with details (in case of moving with a dependent).
Application Process of US Study Visa
You are required to follow the below steps to succeed in your visa application:
- Get admission in a University in the United States. When you are accepted as a student, the University issues a Form I-20.
- Pay the SEVIS fee and apply for the visa through the DS-160 form (an online application form).
- Take a print out of the confirmation page. You must take this page with you to the visa interview.
- Pay the visa fee.
- Schedule your interview appointment and biometric appointment at the US embassy in your area.
- Take help of counsellors in preparing yourself for the interview.
- On the interview date, dress formal and attend the interview in time along with the documents suggested by your visa counsellor
- Clear the interview confidently. You will be asked questions about your career, college you have chosen, academic backgrounoming back, etc.
- If the interview is convinced, you will receive your visa. If he hints any kind of fraud or fake intentions, your visa may be rejected.
- Therefore, always prepare for the interview before you attend it. Be confident of answering all questions as per the details that you submit (which must be true and authentic).
- It will take up to several months to process your student visa. You are required to enter the country not earlier than 30 days before your course start date.
2. Study Visa for Canada
Canada offers only 1 type of study visa for all students. This visa is generally termed as the study permit. In order to apply for this permit, you are required to meet the below criteria:
- You must be accepted admission by a designated learning institute (DLI) in Canada.
- You need to prove that you have a clean background and no harmful intent to enter Canada. In order to do so, you may be asked to submit police clearance certificate.
- You must not be any medical threat or burden to Canada. For this, you are required to submit a medical certificate that says that you are in good health.
- You are required to prove sufficient funds in your bank account to study and stay in Canada till your course duration.
Alongside, all documents that you submit and the details you discuss with authorities during your interview must be true and authentic.
If any mismatch of details is found or the authorities doubt your intentions, you may be barred permanently from entering Canada anytime.
Cost/Fees of Canada Study Visa
The study permit fees if CAD $150. However, this fee does not include counsellor charges which you may have to bear accordingly.
Documents Required for Canada Study Visa
Similar to any country, you are required to have the following documents when applying for a Canada study visa:
- College acceptance letter or proof of acceptance from DLI
- Valid passport
- Academic documents
- English language assessment scorecard
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
- Visa application form
- Healthcare (medical) certificate
- Police Clearance certificate
- Passport size photographs
Application Process of Canada Study Visa
You are required to follow the below steps in order to apply for a Canada study visa:
- Determine how you want to apply. You can either apply online or in person.
- Fill out the application form and the VFS consent form.
- Pay the required visa fee. After you make the fee payment, there is no way to get a refund of this amount. Hence, be very sure of applying right before making the payment.
- If you have your spouse or dependents accompanying your student migration (on any type of visa) you are required to pay their visa fees too.
- Visit the nearest VFS office and submit the application along with supporting documents. If you are applying online, you can submit online.
- You will be issued with your receipt which features a unique tracking number. It is through this number that you can check the status of your application online.
- After your application is approved, you will receive a notification from the Canadian Government for passport stamping.
- Submit the passport at VFS along with a printed copy of the passport request letter.
- Your passport stamping formalities are done.
- You will be issued with a TR visa and a Letter of Introduction.
Generally, it takes 3-4 weeks to process a Canada study permit. After moving to Canada if your study permit expires before the completion of your course, you have to apply for a renewal of study permit to continue your studies. This study permit renewal must be applied 30 days ahead of your current visa expiry date.
3. Study Visa for Australia
Australia’s study visa is named as subclass 500. This visa is granted to an aspiring student primarily based upon his nationality, chosen Australian University, full-time study, the ability of the candidate to prove he is a general temporary entrant, his health and character.
Cost/Fees of Australia Study Visa
The cost of an Australian subclass visa is AUD $620. However, miscellaneous charges like courier, consultant fee etc. may be applicable.
Documents Required for Australia Study Visa
- Valid passport
- Confirmation of Enrolment form (COE issue by an Australian institution you are attending)
- Non-immigrant visa application
- Application fee payment receipt
- Non-immigrant visa application
- Proposed study plan
- Academic documents (like degrees, diplomas, certificates etc.)
- English language test scores
- Statement of purpose
- Proof of funds or financial stability
- Overseas health insurance (OSHC receipt)
- Passport-sized photographs as asked
To understand the requirements of documents related to your University or case file, it is best suggested to consult our student visa counselor.
Application Process of Australia Study Visa
- You have to first create your online account (ImmiAccount).
- Fill the visa application form with authentic details.
- Submit the form after thorough verification.
- You can track the progress of your application through the same account.
- You will be issued with a Transaction Reference number, which you can use to track your application or communicate with the visa centre based upon your progress.
- Upon confirmation of your application, you will be notified through the same account.
Finer helpful details related to subclass 500:-
- This visa does not allow students to work before their course session begins (excluding cases of compulsory internships of integrated courses).
- Students who fall under the Post Graduate Research Sector are allowed to work for unlimited hours on this visa.
- Students can apply for a post-study work permit undergraduate stream. However, students enrolled in an ELICOS cannot apply for a post-study work permit.
4. Study Visa for Germany
If you are planning to stay and study in Germany for more than 90 days, you have required a student visa. However, the first and foremost aspect is you will have to prove to the visa officer that you have funds or resources to manage your stay for at least 1st year.
Cost/Fees of Germany Study Visa
The student visa or residence permits costs up to €110. Also, you are required to showcase an amount (funds maintenance) somewhere between €685 - €750 per month or €8,220 per annum.
Documents Required for Germany Study Visa
- Valid passport
- Application form
- Declaration (stating that the information provided is authentic and truest to its nature.
- Cover letter (explaining the reason for your visa application).
- Letter of Admission for a University in Germany
- Academic documents like university certificates, diplomas, degrees, transcripts, etc.
- English language proficiency test results
- Proof of finds
- Demand draft
- Passport size photographs
Application Process of Germany Study Visa
- Get admission in a German University.
- Gather the required documents and verify them thoroughly.
- Meet the biometrics requirements.
- Fill out the Application form for National Visa.
- Take a print out of the form, sign it and submit it along with supporting documents to the centre
- Also, take a print of the Declaration on true and complete information and sign it.
- Book visa interview at the German Mission.
- Obtain a Demand Draft for the visa fee (based upon current date).
- Submit during the interview.
5. Study Visa for the UK
United Kingdom offers plenty of scope for students who are intending to pursue Bachelors and Masters. Tier 4 is the general term used to refer to a UK student visa. This visa is points based.
Students required 40 points to apply:
- 30 points are given for having a valid confirmation letter from a University that has accepted the admission of the student.
- 10 points for proofing the required fund maintenance.
Types of UK study visa
There are 2 types of Tier 4 visas:
- Tier 4 (General): Visa for students who are above 16 years in age. If your selected University is listed on UKBA Sponsor list and list of recognized bodies, you are also allowed to work on this visa (up to 20 hours per week and full-time during vacation holidays).
- Tier 4 (Child): Visa for students who are in the age range of 4 to 15 years. These students must be admitted only at an independent fee-paying school.
Cost/Fees of UK Study Visa
The cost of Tier 4 General Visa is £348.
Tier 4 Child Visa cost is £348.
Documents Required for UK Study Visa
- Completed visa application form
- Letter of acceptance (CAS from the enrolled University)
- Academic documents
- Proof of funds (£11,385 for 9 months primarily if you are living in London; £9,135 for you are living outside London).
- Visa fee payment receipt
- English language assessment reports
- Payslips (if applicable)
Application Process of UK Study Visa
- Check your eligibility.
- Arrange documents.
- Apply online (at UK visa website).
- Pay the application fee.
- Book appointment at visa application centre.
- Attend the centre on the appointed date.
- Submit photographs and fingerprints.
- Wait for confirmation.
Our student visa counsellors would be glad to assist you in applying for any country student visa. From University selection guidance to the visa application, we take care of everything.
What is a study visa?
A study visa is given to the students who want to study at foreign colleges and Universities.
Which country is best for study without IELTS?
Many Universities in Canada, Australia, etc. offer an education without IELTS. You can choose accordingly.
How to apply a study visa for Canada?
You need to first get admission to a Canadian university/college. After that, you have to apply for a study visa to Canada.
How to get a student visa to the USA?
First, you have to get acceptance from a SEVP approved educational institution, and then you need to pay the SEVIS fee. Then apply for a study visa.
Who can sponsor a student visa in the USA?
Any individual (who can afford) or agency, company, or government can sponsor a person to complete studies in the USA.
Which student visa is easy to get?
If you have the right talent and can afford the fees, any country will give you a student visa. Canada and Australia are the most preferred ones today.
How to extend a study visa in Canada?
You can extend the study visa in Canada by applying before 30 days from the date of visa expiry.
Does a student visa allow you to work?
Most of the countries allow students to work part-time for limited hours per week so that they will have time to study.
Why student visa rejected for Canada?
There may be many reasons for Canadian visa rejection, like improper documentation, delay in submitting something, etc. With proper guidance, you can avoid most of the mistakes.
Which countries offer a post-study work visa?
Many countries like Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Italy offers post-study work visas.
What are the requirements for a student visa?
The first and foremost requirement to get a study visa is that you need to have acceptance from a designated college/university. Health and character are also a must for getting a study visa.
How much does it cost for a student visa?
The cost depends upon the country and college you choose to study.
How long does a student visa last?
Almost all student visas last until the intended course gets completed.
Which country has no IELTS?
Many countries allow students to study without IELTS. Even in advanced counties like Canada and Australia, many colleges accept students without the IELTS test.