- Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream
- FGSVS Eligibility Criteria
- Other Criteria
- Submitting EOI
- Quota for Applications
- Other AINP Streams
Alberta has opened a new immigration pathway for international graduates. The Foreign Graduate Start-Up is now one of the three Alberta entrepreneur immigration options.
This pathway is for qualified international students from outside Canada. It is open to Expression of Interest (EOI) from eligible candidates.
The Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Stream (FGSVS)
It was launched on 27 January 2021. The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is presently accepting applications. Alberta’s Minister of Labour and Immigration’s spokesperson has confirmed this news.
FGSVS Eligibility Criteria
The FGSVS candidate should have graduated from a post-secondary institution outside of Canada within the last two years.
He or she should have the educational credentials equivalent to a degree in Canada.
Other eligibility criteria for Alberta’s FGSVS includes:
- The requirement of a minimum of 6 months of full-time work experience is expected. It can be with a business incubator or business accelerator, or in the management or ownership of a business.
- Candidates should have a minimum CLB level of 7 for each. Skills in English or French.
The candidate must present a business plan with financial costs. A 10-minute presentation of the business in mind can do it. It needs to be focused on the investors’ interest.
- The FGSVS candidate should have the ability to claim a minimum of 34% ownership for businesses located in urban centres like Calgary and Edmonton.
- Candidates should have the ability to show a minimum of 51% ownership if the businesses are to be located in other regional areas of Alberta.
- They should have a minimum level of investment from their equity. It may include a Canadian recognized financial institution, venture capital, or an angel investor before coming to Alberta.
- The proposed business should have a letter of recommendation from any AINP-approved agency.
Candidates are expected to demonstrate that they have the funds required to set-up the business they intend to and support themselves during the start-up phase.
Submit Your Expression of Interest
Submitting your EOI is not an application. It means you would like the AINP to know that you wish to be considered for a provincial nomination for permanent residence in Canada.
You will be asked a series of questions after submitting your Expression of Interest on the eligibility criteria. Your profile would be getting a ranking score based on FGSVS points grid. The highest-scoring candidates will then be invited to submit a business application.
Quota for Applications
There is no set quota for applications. AINP, however, says, “they reserve the right to limit the number of applications intake and provincial nominations.”
Other AINP Streams
There are two other streams for entrepreneurs offered by AINP for candidates interested in buying or starting a business in the province.
- Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream: It is for candidates with farm management skills. They should, however, have sufficient financial resources to invest in the farming business in the province.
- The International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream: This pathway is for recently passed post-secondary international student graduates from Alberta.
The Alberta Opportunity Stream and the Alberta Express Entry Stream are other significant immigration pathways offered by the province. Skilled workers and international graduates qualify for them.