Kansas Overseas is an immigration consultant and doesn't deal with work permits or direct jobs.

Send Message Ask To Expert

Top Destinations - USA

The USA is was and will be one of the top destinations of the migration industry. There are scores of factors that attract migrants from all across the world to go to America. Be it better education, employment, work environment, or lifestyle, the USA makes people want to get there at any cost.

There are different types of visas that facilitate migrants all across the world to move to the USA. The type of visa a person seeks determines the factors like the duration of his/her stay, whether he/she can work or not etc. You can select a visa type according to your requirements and eligibility.

Here are some of the visas that most of the people flying to USA use. Know more about what each visa offers and rejects, their requirements, eligibility to get them and many more details from the following sections.

Different types of visas to the USA:

1. Intra Transferee Visa (L1 Visa):

This visa is known famously as the Intra Company Transferee Visa. With this visa, you can get transferred to your company’s branch in the US from your current working country.

Employees from any country or any firm, irrespective of its size (whether it is a large firm, or a medium-sized industry or a budding start-up), which has a branch in the USA, can come to the USA with L1 visa. They need not be from any specific country to get this visa.

There are two types of L1 visas:

  • L1A visa
  • L1B visa

a) L1A Visa: Under this subcategory, only individuals with managerial or executive positions can enter into the USA. He/she has to be responsible for at least one division of the company they are coming to the US under.

b) L1B Visa: Under this subcategory, individuals with specialized knowledge in the company can come to its USA branch. L1B visa is given to those employees of the company, whose expertise is achieved by years of practice or experience and cannot be transferred to another easily. Examples of these employees are surgeons, lawyers, professors, etc.

2. Business Visa (B1 Visa):

Everybody knows that the USA is a great place to work. It is also known for its exceptional business opportunities. B1 visa enables foreigners to come to the USA for business purposes. I.e. with a B1 visa an individual can discuss contracts, attend business events and conferences, sell or purchase assets, etc.

The B1 visa does not have a limit. It means that you can visit the US as many times as you want until your visa expires. Once your visa expires, you can immediately apply for another B1 visa. This visa helps you to enhance business relationships in the USA.

To get a B1 visa,

  • You need to show the authorities that you are visiting exclusively for business purposes
  • You are financially capable of supporting your visit
  • You will not try to stay in the USA after your visa time comes to an end
  • You have every intention to return to your homeland.

3. Student Visa (F1 Visa):

Student visas issued by the USA in all the categories ranging from elementary school to University come under an F1 visa. You will be issued an F1 visa if an educational institute of America accepts you to study in it. Students from various countries, who fulfill the requirements prescribed by the US, can apply for the F1 visa.

In order to apply for the F1 student visa, you need to have the following prerequisites:

  • To apply for the F1 visa, a student has to get an admission from a Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved educational institute.
  • Hence, before applying for a school or university make sure that it comes under the SEVP. If not, you would not be given an F1 visa, even if you get admission from your applied college.
  • You need to have every intention to return to your homeland after the completion of your course.
  • You have to pass English proficiency tests to prove that you are good at the language.
  • You need to prove that you have enough funds to support your education and stay in the US. However, you can apply for scholarships to support you financially.

4. Tourist Visa (B2 Visa):

With the B2 visa, you can visit the USA as a tourist and enjoy the country that is applauded by everyone for its beauty. You can also attend medical treatments in hospitals in the USA with this visa. With the tourist visa, you can:

  • Visit people like friends or family
  • Many take visas for medical purposes since the USA is so medically advanced
  • Enjoy a vacation
  • Have a tour of the important places in the US
  • Attend different events, which are organized in the US
  • Take part in competitions of music, sports, etc ( events in which you do not receive money)
  • Attend short term courses in various skills (not professional courses. You can attend courses like calligraphy or cooking classes)

5. Investor Visa (EB-5 Visa):

The investor visa is one of the five employment-based (EB) preference programs in the United States. It allows investors, who wish to invest in the USA and create employment for the American citizens, to become permanent residents in the country.

Most of the EB-5 visa holders try to establish a business in rural areas and areas in the USA, where there is a high level of unemployment. This reduces the labour costs as the people in highly unemployed areas work at many inexpensive rates.

The requirements to get an investor visa are:

  • You have to invest amounts between $500,000 and $900,000 after November 21, 2019, in the USA.
  • You have to give employment to at least 10 American citizens.
  • You can directly invest yourself or you can invest in the larger developers in the USA, who need funding. The regional centers act as intermediaries between foreign investors and US developers.

The foreign investors are sometimes the major contributors to US industries that are in need of funding.

6. Dependent Visa (F-2, J-2, H-4, L2, O-3 Visas):

There are several types of dependent visas. The type of dependent visa is determined according to the visa type of primary applicant.

  • F-2 Dependent Visa- the F1 visa is given to students, who come to the US to pursue studies. If the F1 visa holders want to bring dependents like spouse or kids (who are unmarried and are below 21 years), they can do so with the help of an F2 dependent visa.
  • J-2 Dependent Visa- this visa is given to those people who want to come to the USA as the dependents of J1 Visa. If the organization that is sponsoring the J1 visa holder doesn’t allow him/her to bring dependents, then he/she cannot bring their dependents.
  • H-4 Dependent Visa- this visa is given to the spouse or children (children must be under 21 years) of the individual, who has an H1B visa. The validity of the H-4 visa depends upon the validity of the H1B visa.
  • L-2 Dependent Visa- L2 visa is given to the spouse or children of the L1 visa holder. You can study, travel in and out of the US, have a driver’s license, etc under L2 dependent visa.
  • O-3 Dependent Visa- O-3 visa is given to the spouse and children of the O-1 and O-2 visa holders. An O-1 visa is given to the people who are exceptionally talented in their fields. An O-2 visa is given to people who come along with the O-1 visa holders and assist them.

Living in the United States of America has a great set of benefits in every aspect of the visa holders’ lives. Selecting the correct type of visa is the first step towards enjoying the US stay.

If you are confused about visa types, processing, or documentation or anything related to US migration, you could contact us for assistance. We help scores of people yearly to realize their dollar dreams in a smooth manner.

Ask An Expert