What is L1 A Visa?
L1A visa is a non-immigrant visa given to foreign nationals with a managerial or executive status, who wish to work in their company’s US branches. It is only granted to managers and executives who meet the requirements of the USCIS.
L1A Visa is the USA's temporary visa used to enter the United States for a short period of time.
- L1A Visa holders may work, live, and travel legally within the US.
- Dependents of the visa holders may accompany him or her to the US.
- L-1A visa holders may be able to apply for permanent residency.
- L1A visa allows a foreign company to establish a branch in the US.
The L1A visa is granted for a period of 1 year for new, start-up companies and 3 years for existing companies. L1A employees may be granted L1A visa extensions of 2 year increments for up to 7 years.
What are the types of L1 Visas?
Foreign employees eligible for L1 visas will be granted either an L1A or L1B visa.
- The L1A visa is for managers and executives.
- The L1B visa is for professionals with specialized knowledge.
Who is eligible for an L1A visa?
You have to be a manager or an executive in your company to be eligible to get an L1A visa to the US.
It will also be given to those executives who want to establish their company branch or subsidiary in the US.
What are the differences between an L1A visa and the L1B visa?
Who is it meant for?
L1A visa is meant for foreign workers whose job duties are of managerial capacity or executive posts of an organization.
L1B visa is given to foreign workers with specialized knowledge.
The foreign petitioner who files the L1A petition should be managing a part or component of his organization.
The visa beneficiary must be supervising the work of professionals or other managers.
The applicant has to hire, fire, and give promotions to some of the employees of the organization
The applicant must establish the business’s policies and goals.
The foreign applicant, who files the L1B petition, should have specialized knowledge in a field.
These people cannot be replaced, and their skill sets cannot be replicated in a short time
They have to have expert knowledge in certain fields, which cannot be learned in a day or two but has to have years of experience and skills.
The L1A visa for startups and new businesses will be given with one-year validity.
For multinational companies, visa validity will be 3 years.
This can be extended up to 7 years.
The L1B visa for startups and new businesses will be given for 1 year.
For multinational companies, visa validity will be 3 years.
It can be extended a maximum of up to 5 years.
Green card eligibility
The L1A visa holders can file an application for a green card without a labor certification
The L1B visa beneficiary’s employer has to have a labor certification for the visa holder to file an application to get a green card
What documents are required for the L1A visa?
The following are the document requirements of the visa application of the L1A visa:
- Passport (current and old)
- Passport-size photographs
- Confirmation page of the duly filled DS-160 Form (along with the barcode of the CEAC)
- Receipt of the visa fee
- Original and additional copies of the interview appointment letter
- Approved I-129 petition form along with I-129 Petition Receipt Number
- If you are an individual applicant, then you need to submit:
- A copy of Form I-797
- An extra copy of Form I-129
- If you are a blanket applicant, then you need to submit:
- Form I-129S, filled by the petitioner (one original and two copies). This form should have been issued in the last six months. It is a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS form.
- Form I-797- 3 copies
- Visa fees receipt
- Letter from the employer of your company stating that you have been working in their company full time for the last one year continuously and are going to work in their US branch post flying to the US.
- Your previous employers should issue work experience certificates
- Employers certificates stating your specific skills and abilities
- Educational certificates.
Cost of L1 Visa:
The addition of the below components form the complete fee of the L1A visa:
- Filing fee: $325
- If the applicant wants faster processing, then the premium processing fee: $ 1225
- Fraud detection and prevention fee: $500
- Additional fees (if applicable): $2250.
What is the processing time for L1 Visa?
The L1A visa takes around 6 months of processing time. The time depends upon the embassy from which you are applying:
- If you pay a premium cost of $ 1225, then your visa would be processed in 1 or 2 weeks.
- If your company has a blanket approval, you can get your visa processed faster.
How can Kansas help you apply?
Kansas Overseas Careers is the best immigration consultant in India. Don’t take our word for it, we have the numbers to prove it. Our success rate is 98.23 %.
- Visit Visa: Travel for leisure or business to any part of the world with Kansas.
- Study Visa: Kansas will ensure that you qualify. And look forward to studying abroad.
- Work Visa: We will help you obtain qualified employment. That is legally issued to you by the concerned authorities.
- Immigration: We are experts in arranging everything that is needed for your international movement.
- Permanent Residence: We’ll help you obtain permanent residency in your dream country.
- Job-Search Services: We look for appropriate openings to match your qualifications.
- Profile Evaluation: Based on your unique profile history, we make matches with the visa eligibility requirements, and advise you with the visas you must apply for.
- Resume Writing: We guide you to create a resume that stands out as desired by the concerned immigration authority.
- Procuring documents: Help you arrange documents needed before applying for a visa.
- Professional guidance: Be it providing you interview training, French/English courses or working samples for resumes, cover letters or assisting with application forms, medical or police clearance certificates - we will always be there for you.
- Dedicated Case Officer: We offer personal assistance and a single point of contact between the company and you, throughout the process
- Post-Landing Services: We help you settle down in the country after you’ve received your visa. These services are specifically customized as per your requirements.
You can expect a one-stop solution for all your visa needs from profile evaluation, documentation, application drafting to post-visa services with Kansas.
Don’t wait. Begin working on your visa application today.
The advantages of applying for an L1A visa are:
- You can get a visa quicker than any other visa to the US.
- You can obtain visas for your relatives
- You can travel to and from the US many times
- You can be in the US until the visa expires
- You can apply for visa extension until a maximum period of 7 years
- You can take your family, and your spouse can work after fulfilling certain requirements
- You can file an application for a green card
- You do not need to have labor certification to apply for permanent residency
- You can get your kids educated in a technologically advanced country like the US
How to convert an L1A visa into a Green Card?
An L1A visa holder can apply under an EB-1C green card. This doesn’t require a PERM Labor Certification, and saves up to 8 months off of the processing period. To apply for the green card, the employer only needs to file an I-140 petition. Once approved, the applicant files for an adjustment of status (Form I-485).
Can I consider an L1 visa as an immigration visa?
No, the L1 visa is not basically an immigration visa.
Can I work part-time for other employers on an L-1 visa if I have specialized knowledge regarding anything?
No, you cannot work part-time for any other employers than the one you came to work for, with an L1 visa, even if you have specialized knowledge.
Who is considered as a manager?
An employee is considered to be in a managerial position if:
- He/she manages a specific part or component of an organization or company
- Oversees the work of other employees who are at professional, supervisory or managerial level
- He/she has the authority to hire employees
- He/she has the authority to fire employees
- He/she can suggest promoting someone in the organization
- They manage the daily operations of the company
Who is considered as an executive?
An employee is considered as an executive if he/she:
- Supports the management of the organization of a part of the company
- Sets goals and timelines for his/her company
- Sets up policies of their company
- He/she is crucial in decision making about at least some part of the company
- Gets supervised minimally and that too directly by the high-level executives or board of directors or such authorities
What is the blanket approval of the L1A visa?
- If a multinational company applies and gets a blanket approval, then the employer can transfer his/her employees at short notice.
- If an employer gets blanket approval, he/she can transfer his/her employees without applying for each employee separately at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Can you apply for jobs on an L1A visa?
- No, the L1A petitioners cannot apply for jobs in the US. The workers have to be employed by the company that sent them to the US. USCIS does not allow the workers to transfer their L1A status to another company. It is specifically meant for intracompany transfers.
- Kansas Overseas assists and guides you in every step to get an L1A visa. You can fly to the US with your family towards your better future with our capable aid.
What is the validity period for the L1A visa?
- The employee will be given an initial visa of 3 years.
- They can apply for a visa extension for up to a maximum of 7 years.
- After staying in the U.S. for 7 years under an L1A visa, you need to go out of the US for a year and apply again for a visa if you want to come back.
Can I bring dependents if I go to the US with an L1A visa?
Yes, you can bring your dependents, that is, spouse and children (who are below 21 years) if you are going to the US under an L1A visa.
How long will my dependents’ visa be valid?
Your dependents will be given L2 visas if you have an L1 visa. Their visas will be valid as long as the primary applicants’ L1 visas are valid.
Can my spouse work if he/she comes under an L2 dependent visa?
Yes, your spouse can petition for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) by submitting the I-765 form. If the authorities approve his/her EAD, then he/she can have work visas and work in the US. There will not be any restrictions on their working hours or wages.
How many L-1 visas does the US issue per year?
There is no cap or limit for the number of persons in the L-1 visa category.
Do I need any minimum education requirements like a bachelor’s degree, to file an L-1 visa application?
There are no requirements of any minimum education to file for an application to get an L-1A visa.
Can I move to different destinations of the US with an L-1A visa?
Yes, you can move to different destinations of the US with an L1A visa. You need to be in the same company, though.
Can I go to a law firm if I face any problems with an L1A visa?
Yes, you can go to an immigration lawyer in a reputed law firm to get your issues regarding the L1A visa solved.
Can I speed up the processing time to get an L1A visa?
Yes, by paying a premium process fee, you can get your visa processed faster as a foreign worker.
Is it hard to get an L1 visa?
Not really. If you have the required profile getting an L1 visa is easier than getting other US work visas.
Can the L1 visa holder apply for a green card (permanent residence status of the US)?
Yes, foreign nationals, on L-1 Visa, can apply for a green card (the permanent residence status of the US). The visa holders can apply under employment-based green cards based on their qualifications and experience. L1 visa holders can get a green card more easily than others with a temporary visa.
Does my employer need to have a labor certification if I want to file an application for a green card on the L-1 visa?
If you have an L-1 visa, you can petition for permanent residency even if your employer does not have a PERM Labor Certification.
Whom can I consult if I got any issue regarding immigration through an L1A visa? Can I consult a law firm?
You can consult an immigration attorney, who maintains an excellent attorney-client relationship if you have any issues regarding L1A visa immigration.
Can I start a business after going to the US with an L1 visa?
You can go to the US to establish your company’s branch there if you are going for that purpose.
Can I file an application and get permanent residency through adjustment of status, or should I go through a consular process?
If you are already in the US with an L-1A visa, you can opt between adjustment of status and consular process.
Will there be a visa stamping interview if I want to go to the US on an L1A visa?
Yes, you need to attend a visa stamping interview if you want to go to the US on an L1A visa.
The visa stamping questions will be as following:
- What type of visa are you applying for?
- Have you traveled to the US before?
- If yes, when did you return?
- Questions about petition letter
- Questions about visa fee receipt
- Which company are you working for currently?
- What is your salary package in your current company?
- What is your designation in your company?
- Can you state any previous clients you have worked within some of your previous companies?
- What businesses have you worked for so far?
US work-related questions:
- Who is your client in the US?
- What does your client do in the US?
- In which place do you work in the US?
- What is the type of work you would do in the US?
- What job responsibilities can you handle if you come to the US?