UK Visitor Visa, which is also called a Standard Visitor Visa, is a short-stay visa of the UK. It allows the visa holder to stay for a period of 6 months in the country. This article talks about the UK Standard Visitor Visa, the documents and other requirements needed to visit the UK in 2020.
Let us go through the 7 essential factors you need to know about a UK visitor visa.
7 Essential Factors of UK Visit Visa
1. What is a UK Visitor Visa?
Also known as the UK Standard Visitor Visa, the UK Visitor Visa allows you to enter the country for several reasons. This visa allows you to stay in the UK from 6 months to 10 years, with a maximum stay of 6 months on each visit.
With a UK visitor visa, you can do the following activities:
- Get private medical treatment
- Visit the UK for holiday or sightseeing
- Visit family or friends (family visitor visa category candidates)
- Job-related activities (if you are coming under business visitor visa type) including:
- Participating in business meetings (business visa type)
- Participating in cultural events as a performer
- Participating in sports events
- Taking part in research etc.
- If you are coming under a student visa, you can do short term courses depending upon your visa validity period.
2. UK Visit Visa Requirements: Eligibility Criteria for the UK Visit Visa
Below is the eligibility criteria that you need to have to get the UK visitor visa:
- You need to show that you will return to your homeland after your visit
- You can prove this by showing your ties to family or work in your country
- You need to have the financial ability to support yourself and your dependents during your stay
- You need to show that you can afford a return ticket and any costs that can occur during your stay.
Other information you’ll need:
- the dates you’re planning to travel to the UK
- details of where you’ll be staying during your visit
- how much you think your trip will cost
- your current home address and how long you’ve lived there
- your parents’ names and dates of birth
- how much you earn in a year
You might also need:
- details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
- your employer’s address and telephone number
- your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
- the name and address of anyone paying for your trip
- the name, address and passport number of any family members you have in the UK
- details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences you have committed
Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you need to complete a passenger locator form before you arrive in the UK. You may also need to self-isolate for up to 14 days when you arrive, depending on where you’ve travelled from.
Your passport or identity card will be checked when you arrive at a UK port or airport to make sure you’re allowed to come into the country. It should be valid for the whole of your stay.
3. Documents Required for a UK Visitor Visa
The below is the list of required documents you need to submit as UK visitor visa requirements if you want to travel to the UK:
- A duly filled application form (VAF1A) with the GWF number.
- Passport-sized photo with the given specifications
- Valid passport with at least one page blank
- Employment documents (if you are employed)
- Registration documents of business (if self-employed)
- University/college leave of absence documents on the institute’s letterhead (if you are a student)
- Bank statements of the last 6 months should be submitted as proof of funds
- Invitation letter from the family member or friend (if any)
- Itinerary describing your travel schedule in the UK
- Booking details of the hotel you are going to stay in.
4. How to Apply for a UK Tourist Visa from India?
The following steps are required to apply to UK tourist visa from India:
- As the visa application must be submitted only in the online form, go to the website of UK Visas and Immigration.
- Select things like your language, country, nearest visa application centre, type of your intended visa, etc. for your travel
- Use your mail id and password to create a profile
- After logging in, fill in the visa application form
- Sign in the declaration after reading
- Pay the concerned visa fee to travel to the UK
- Submit visa application
- Take the print out of the visa application form
- Take an appointment at the preferred UK visa application center
- Attend the interview at the embassy
- Submit all your supporting documents along with your passport at the embassy/consulate
- You can either pick up directly or get the visa stamped passport from the mail.
5. Costs for UK Visitor Visas
Funds required for obtaining a UK visitor visa are as follows:
UK Visitor Visa Fees
Cost in INR
Single/Multiple Entry Short Term Visa
(upto 6 months)
Single/Multiple Entry Long Term Visa
(upto 2 years)
Single/Multiple Entry Long Term Visa
(upto 5 years)
Single/Multiple Entry Long Term Visa
(upto 10 years)
Visiting UK for Private Medical Treatment
(upto 11 months)
6. Processing Time for a UK Tourist Visa
The processing of the UK visitor visa from India is comparatively less. It takes 15 days for Indians to get the UK visitor visa generally. If there is any special issue, it may take up to 30 days.
7. How Long Can You Stay in the UK With a Visitor Visa?
With a UK visitor visa you may stay in the UK for the following periods:
- At most 30 days. If you are a traveler under an ADS agreement.
- Up to 6 months. If you are traveling for a family visit or tourism.
- Up to 11 months. If you are traveling for private medical treatment.
- Up to 12 months. If you are an academic completing a research project in the UK.Other FAQs
8. How Can Kansas Overseas Help You?
- Profile Evaluation: Based on your unique profile history, we make matches with the visa eligibility requirements, and advise you with the visas you must apply for.
- Procuring documents: Help you arrange documents needed before applying for a visa.
- Professional guidance: Be it providing you interview training, French/English courses or working samples for resumes, cover letters or assisting with application forms, medical or police clearance certificates - we will always be there for you.
- Dedicated Case Officer: We offer personal assistance and a single point of contact between the company and you, throughout the process
- Post-Landing Services: We help you settle down in the country after you’ve received your visa. These services are specifically customized as per your requirements.
You can expect a one-stop solution for all your visa needs from profile evaluation, documentation, application drafting to post-visa services with Kansas.
Don’t wait. Begin working on your visa application today.
1. How can you get a UK visitor visa?
To visit the UK, you need to:
- Fill in the visa application appropriately
- Pay the fees
- Attend the interview at the visa application center
- Provide all the documents asked of you
- Need all the documents for entry clearance.
2. Can I get public treatment from UK hospitals?
No, if you are traveling to the UK to get medical treatment, you need to do so from private hospitals only. You cannot use public funds to get you treated.
3. Can I marry or enter into a civil partnership while I am on a UK tourist visa?
While you are in the UK with a visitor visa, you should not get into a civil partnership or marriage.
4. Can I visit the UK with a Schengen visa?
You cannot, at any cost, go to the UK with a Schengen visa. The Schengen visa is useful to visit the Schengen area and not the UK.
5. Is it possible to get immigration to the UK with a UK tourist visa?
No, you need to prove that you are going to get entry into the UK only on non-immigration purposes, to get a UK visitor visa. If you try some illegal means to go to the UK for immigration or to get a residence permit with a visitor visa, you may face serious problems. The visitor visa is only meant to visit the UK.
6. I have a small issue regarding UK immigration. Whom should I consult?
You need to consult good immigration lawyers if you want to resolve your issues regarding UK immigration or residence permit or any European economic area related issues. If you have any problems regarding visiting the UK as a general visitor visa UK holder or marriage visitor visa holder or any other visit visa holder, they will solve it.
7. Can the visit visa be considered as a UK work visa?
If you get a tourist visa, you cannot consider it as a work visa unless you took special permission to work under a visitor visa by mentioning so in your visa application.
8. Do Indian passport holders come under non-visa nationals to the UK?
No, Indian passport holders need to obtain a visa to travel to the UK even if they want to go to the UK as tourists. You need to submit your visa application and process the visa application.
9. Does the UK embassy send my stamped passport to me via mail, or can I get it personally?
You can get your stamped passport personally or via mail services.
10. Can I pay my visa fees through cheque?
No, cheques are not accepted as the payment method. However, you can pay directly at the visa application center when you go to submit your documents or pay online.
11. Do I need to come personally to submit and collect my documents?
You can send someone on behalf of you to submit your documents or collect your stamped passport.
12. What do you need to submit to collect the stamped passport?
You need to give the embassy people the original receipt that they have given you at the time of documents’ submission to receive your passport.
13. Can I track my application for a UK tourist visa?
Yes, you can track your application by giving details in "track your application" on the website, in which you submitted your visa application.
14. What are the payment methods to pay the visa fee? Can I pay it online?
Yes, you can pay the visa fees online. You can also pay the fees when you go to the application center directly.
15. Can I get a visa extension to a UK visitor visa?
The maximum period during which you can stay in the UK with a Visitor visa is 6 months.
But in the below circumstances, you can get visa extensions:
- If you are completing a research program: In this case, the maximum period of validity is 12 months. I.e., you will be given a 6 months extension on your existing visa.
- If you are going through private medical treatment: If you can prove that you need time to get completely cured and that you can bear the expenses during this time, you can get a 6 months extension to your visa.
- If you are taking the PLAB exam: If you are taking the PLAB (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) test for the second time, you can get a 6 months extension.
Visit Kansas Overseas for more comfortable and quicker UK visit visa processing.
We provide you every service required to get a UK visa.
16. What can you bring with you to the UK?
What you can bring with you depends on where you’re travelling from. You must declare to customs:
- anything over your duty-free allowance
- banned or restricted goods in the UK
- goods that you plan to sell
- more than €10,000 (or its equivalent) in cash, if you’re coming from outside the EU
- You and your baggage may be checked for anything you must declare