The new UK Youth Mobility Program is an initiative by the British Government to invite you, graduates. While this program was available for several countries, however, India has joined the list this year.
1. What is the UK's Youth Mobility Program (YMS)?
The UK Youth Mobility Program is a visa scheme that allows young people from certain countries (including India) to live and work in the United Kingdom for up to two years.
The program is designed to enable young people to experience living and working in a different country while also allowing them to develop their skills and gain work experience.
2. What are the chances of getting a Youth Mobility Program visa?
The selection process is random and for a limited number of applicants only. The possibility is minimum for the UK Youth Mobility Program. However, no fees have to be paid for the first stage. Thereby there is no risk of losing any money.
At Kansas, we received over eight approvals for the first stage.
3. Who are eligible for this program?
- If you are age is between 18-30 years
- You reside in the list of countries to which the scheme is applicable.
- If you have 15 years of education or more
- If you are selected in the ballot scheduled by the UK's Government.
- Have funds over 2,60,000INR in your account (for the 2nd stage)
4. What is the process of the UK's YMS?
There are two stages to the process.
Stage 1: Apply online for this program on the UK government's official website. It's a simple stage where you need to fill in personal information, passport details, and other basic details.
You need to have your passport details handy while applying for this stage.
Stage 2: If you are selected in this program in the first stage, you will receive a notification of your selection (the selection process is random). You need to complete your application form online, appear for the medical test, pay your fees and complete your biometric (fingerprint) in the UK VFS office in your nearest location.
5. How Long Does It Takes For A Youth Mobility Scheme Visa?
Stage one will tentatively take 1-3 weeks from the time of admission. The second stage will take around two months of time.
Note: The processing time for 2nd stage can be a month's time or less if you are maintaining the funds of 2,60,000 INR or UK Pounds 2,530 in your account for 28 days or more.
6. Documents You Must Provide For Youth Mobility Scheme Visa:
When applying for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa, you must give several copies to support your application. These documents include the following:
- A valid passport or travel document
- Proof of your finances, such as bank statements
- Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate, if required
- A criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for 12 months or more in the last ten years
- Your biometric data (fingerprints and photograph)
- A confirmation copy of the selection.
7. How Much Does It Cost?
There are no fees to be paid in the first stage of the process. The costs depend on your country of residence for the second stage of the Youth Mobility Scheme visa. The application fee for Indians is GBP 259 (INR 26,245 approximately).
In addition to the visa fee, you may also need to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your visa application. The healthcare surcharge allows you to access the UK's National Health Service (NHS) during your stay. The healthcare surcharge is currently £624 per year.
Can I Work In Any Industry Under The YMS Program?
Participants in the YMS program can work in various industries, including hospitality, retail, healthcare, and creative industries, such as film, television, and theatre. However, specific sectors, such as professional sports and self-employment, are not permitted under the YMS program.
Can I Travel Outside The UK During My Stay Under The YMS Program?
Yes, participants in the YMS program can travel outside the UK during their stay. However, they must return to the UK before their visa expires and cannot re-enter the UK after it expires.
Can I Bring My Dependents With Me To The YMS Program?
No, participants in the YMS program cannot bring their dependents with them. The YMS visa is for individuals only; participants cannot get their spouse, partner, or children to the UK. However, participants can apply for other types of visas that allow them to bring their dependents to the UK.
How long can I stay in the UK under the YMS program?
Participants in the YMS program can stay in the UK for up to two years. The visa cannot be extended beyond two years, and participants cannot reapply for the YMS program once their visa has expired.