Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world. It is a gorgeous country, and every year 8 million tourists visit the country.
What is a Canada Tourist Visa?
The Canada Tourist Visa is a non-immigrant visa that is placed in your passport by the Canadian visa authorities. The authorities issue it to you if you prove that you satisfy all the requirements of a Canadian tourist visa.
This visa allows you to travel to Canada and visit family and friends, to tour the country for sightseeing, etc.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for a Canada Tourist Visa?
The eligibility criteria for an applicant to get a Canada tourist visa are:
1. Passport: You need to have a valid passport to travel to Canada
2. Bank statements: You need to show the last 6 months' bank transaction documents in your bank statement.
3. Health: You need to get medical tests done and show the documents to the authorities. You need to be mentally and physically fit to travel to Canada.
4. Character: You have to get certificates indicating that you are of good moral conduct. Any criminal records on your name may cause visa rejection.
5. The intention of coming back: You need to prove to the visa officer at the Canadian embassy that you are fully intended to come back to your native country before your visa expires. For this, you can show that :
- You have a family, to which you would return
- Strong financial ties that you would not lose by staying back in Canada illegally
- You have employment or such commitments that would tie you to your native land.
6. Financial support: You need to prove that you have enough finances to support you throughout your stay in Canada. You need to show that you can cover your hotel expenses and travelling if you are staying in a hotel
7. Purpose of visit: You have to explain what your purpose of visiting Canada is, to the concerned officer. The reason could be:
- Visiting the country as a tourist
- Visiting family or friends
- Other valid purposes
Canada Tourist Visa Essentials:
- A Valid Passport
- You need to prove that you intend to come back before the visa expires
- You should have enough funds to support yourself during your entire visit
- You need to be sound in health
- You should prove that your conduct is good.
What Documents are Required for the Canadian Tourist Visa?
If you want to travel to Canada with a tourist visa, you need to have:
- Photographs, as mentioned by the authorities
- Passport with appropriate validity
- Bank statements stating that you can support yourself
- Details about your purpose of visiting Canada
- You need to have a travel insurance
- Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Application form that is filed along with signature
- Filled in Schedule 1 Form 5257
Step-by-Step Process of Applying for a Canadian Tourist Visa
The following is the step by step process description to get the Canadian Tourist Visa:
- Step 1: You need to create a Government of Canada (GC) key. This key allows you to log in to the CIC website (Canada Immigration and Citizenship website) and apply for any Canada visa.
- Step 2: Using the GC key, log in to the CIC website.
- Step3: The website gives you many options for visas to go to Canada. Select a Visit visa among them, to which you want to apply.
- Step 4: The website asks you to fill the mandatory details. Fill them and save.
- Step 5: After the above step, download the tourist visa application form.
- Step 6: The documents that are mentioned are to be uploaded while uploading the filled-in application.
- Step 7: Now, you need to pay the visa fees.
- Step 8: Submit the appropriately filled application with all the documents attached.
- Step 9: You can track the status of your visa application.
- Step 10: After your visa gets approved, get your passport stamped at the nearest VAC (Visa Application Centre) by going in person or by putting it in the dropbox.
What is the Cost for a Canadian Tourist Visa?
The visa application fee for different types of Canada Visitor Visas is as follows:
|Permit / Visa||Fee|
|Work Permit (Including Extensions)||CAD$155|
Work Permit (Maximum Fee for Groups of Performing Artists
Visitor Visa - Single-Entry or Multiple Entry
|Visitor Visa - Maximum Fee for Family||CAD$500|
What Long Does it Take to Process a Canada Visitor Visa?
Online applications made from within Canada are processed within 12 days and paper-based applications within 27 days.
The Canada Tourist Visa application processing time from India is between 10 - 14 working days. You will need to collect the visa and passport from the Visa Application Centre.
Why Choose Kansas Overseas?
Kansas Overseas Careers is the leading immigration consultancy services in India for Canada. Apart from providing legal counselling, Kansas will also guide you through the entire process of obtaining a visa successfully.
Why go through the hassles of a cumbersome procedure. Even a small mistake will fail the visa application. Avail expert services of Kansas Overseas for your tourism or business visit to Canada.
1. What are the different types of Canadian Tourist Visa?
There are two main types of Canada Tourist Visa:
- With this visa, you can travel and visit Canada only once.
- The validity period of this single-entry visa is a maximum of 6 months.
- In this visa type, the maximum validity period is 10 years.
- Within these 10 years, the visa holder can visit Canada multiple times on a temporary resident visa, and each time he/she can stay up to a maximum period of 6 months.
- On default, when you apply for a Canada tourist visa, you will be applying for a multiple-entry visa.
- Single-Entry visas are issued only under specific circumstances.
- This is an electronic permit that is given to anyone who wants to travel to another country and seeks transit through Canada.
2. Can you visit another country with a Canadian tourist visa?
Yes, you can visit certain countries with a multiple-entry Canada tourist visa.
- But you need to keep in mind that the validity and requirements need to be followed.
- Examples of countries that allow you to travel in them with a Canada tourist visa are Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, etc.
3. Can I work in Canada with a tourist visa?
Working in Canada while you are in the country with a visit visa is mostly not possible. You can go back to your homeland, apply for a work permit, and come to Canada with a work visa. There are plenty of opportunities in Canada if you are skilled enough to take them up. You can apply for a work permit and get it easily.
4. How many times can I visit Canada in one year?
If you come to Canada on a single-entry tourist visa, you can enter and exit Canada only once. That is, with this visa, if you exit Canada visa once, you need to again apply for a tourist visa.
If you apply for a multiple-entry visa, you can come and go as many times as you wish within the 10 years of your visa validity or until one month before your visa expires (whichever comes first).
5. Is the bank statement required for a Canada visa?
Yes, you need to submit your bank statement while applying for a Canada tourist visa. This statement should include the last 6 months of transactions made in your bank statement.
This is asked to prove your financial stability.
6. What is the Canada tourist visa fee?
The Canada tourist fee per person is 100CAD. The biometrics cost would be 85CAD. Hence the cost would be around 185CAD per person. There may be some extra charges for procuring different documents.
7. Is it easy to obtain a Canadian tourist visa?
If you satisfy all the eligibility criteria, have all the documents required, and have sufficient funds to support yourself, then yes, getting a Canada tourist visa is easy.
8. Do I need to get biometrics done to get a Canada tourist visa?
Yes, you need to submit your biometric details to get a Canada tourist visa, work visa, student visa, permanent resident visa, etc. You need to submit your biometric details in the Visa Application Centre (VAC) authorized by the Government of Canada.
9. What can I do with a Canadian tourist visa?
With a tourist visa, you can travel across Canada for sightseeing and fun activities, visiting family or friends, etc. You cannot take up any work or serious studies with a tourist visa.
10. What is the visitor record?
You will be given a visa extension if you want to stay and travel in Canada for more than 6 months with a tourist visa. This extension document is called a “Visitor Record.” You need to apply for an extension at least 30 days before your current visa expires.
11. How to apply for Visitor Records?
The Visitor Record is a document issued by the IRCC if they approve your visa extension. This is an individual document, and it is not attached to the passport. This visitor record includes the date by which you have to leave the country. You can apply to visitor records online or offline.
The process to apply for visitor record online:
- Create an account in the IRCC website
- Read the instructions to apply for a visitor record
- Fill in all the fields
- Scan the mentioned documents and submit them in the website
- Pay the fees by using your credit or debit card.
The process to apply for visitor record offline:
- Download the application from the IRCC website
- The application includes documents checklist, guidelines, etc.
- Fill in the application appropriately
- Attach all the documents
- Pay the fees
- You need to sign by giving the date in the required field.
- Send the application form to the address that is mentioned on the application package.
12. Will my details be safe if I submit my biometric details?
The fingerprint details will be encrypted and sent through a secured internal electronic system from VAC to the Canadian Immigration Biometrics Identification System. Hence there would not be any breaches in your security.
13. What is the processing time for the Canada tourist visa?
Your Canada tourist visa will be processed between 5 to 50 days. It depends on the place you are applying from.
14. Can I track my Canada tourist visa application?
Yes, you can track your Canada tourist visa application. Sign in to the CIC website and go for the application status section.
15. In how many ways can I send my Canada tourist visa application in offline mode?
You can send your paper application form in two ways:
- You can submit it in person at the Visa Application Centre.
- You can mail it to the Visa Application Centre.
Check at your nearest VAC for more details.
16. Is there a priority visa service to get a Canada tourist visa?
No, there is no priority visa clearance to get a Canadian tourist visa.
17. How many days before my intended travelling date can I apply for a Canada tourist visa?
You can apply 3 months before your intended travelling date.
18. Can I pay for Canada tourist visas online?
Yes, you can pay Canada tourist fees online with your credit or debit card.
19. What is the GC key?
It is the login key that you would need, to access the CIC website. It stands for the Government of Canada Key. If you log in to the CIC website with this key, the site will show you various types of visas available to go to Canada.
20. Can I bring my dependents to Canada to travel with me on a Canada tourist visa?
Yes, you can bring your dependents to Canada with you on a Canadian tourist visa. They have to have their applications and they have to pay their fees separately. You need to submit your applications together at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) to be considered as a single unit of the family.
21. Which form of applying for a Visa Record is better? Online mode or paper mode?
It is better and convenient to apply to the Visa Record in online mode. You can submit any additional documentation instantly and you can pay the required fee by using your debit or credit card.
22. How long is a Canadian tourist visa valid?
If you take a single-entry visa, the validity period of Canada visit visa is 6 months. If you take a multiple entry visa, the validity period will be 5 to10 years.
23 . What is the Application Procedure for a Canadian Tourist Visa?
You need to follow the below steps to get a Canada tourist visa:
- Create a Government of Canada key (GC key)
- Login to CIC site with this key
- Evaluate whether you are eligible for a tourist visa of the country
- Complete the documentation and submit the application
- Wait for the visa approval
- Get your passport stamped