B1/B2 Visa: 12 Important Things You Should Know Before You Apply
The United States is a treasure island for business owners. Simultaneously, it is a dream destination for visitors. Pertaining to the increasing number of visitors the United States has annually, the government had introduced two easy pathways for business owners and tourists respectively.
The B1 visa was introduced solely for business owners or staff related to any business in United States whereas the B2 visa created a pathway for tourists to explore the beauty of the country and reside in its entity for a short duration of time.
But, what if you want to visit the United States for business purpose for specific time and also explore the country as a visitor? Considering this scenario the B1/B2 visa was introduced.
1. What is a B1/B2 Visa?
A B1/B2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to candidates who want to visit the United States for business reasons and simultaneously spend a leisure time in the country. This visa is also known as a short-term visit visa which can be applied for a stay up to 1 year. This visa can be used for one-time of for multiple times.
2. How long is B1/B2 visa valid for?
Generally, a B1/B2 visa validity depends upon your application and purpose of visiting the United States. By mentioning the right purpose of business and your plans for the tour, you can apply for this visa for a stay up to 1 year.
If you belong to any country that falls under the visa waiver program list, you can stay in the United States without B1/B2 for a period of 90 days.
3. When can you apply for a B1/B2 visa?
You can apply for a B1/B2 visa under the following circumstances:
- When you have to visit the United States as a business person (for meetings, conferences, business deals, etc.) and tour the country as well.
- When you an employee representing any company and have to tour the nation on behalf of your company.
- When you are invited to attend seminars, short-term training sessions, athlete events, entertainment events etc.
4. How many times can you enter the US on B1/B2 visa?
You can enter the US B1/B2 as many times you wish to till your visa is valid.
5. Can a person work on a B1/B2 Visa?
No. Though you are allowed to get trained for work or attend seminars related to your employment, you cannot take up any paid employment on a B1/B2 visa.
If you have to extend your stay in the United States and work in the country, you are required to apply for a non-immigrant worker visa – the H1B visa. This visa gives you rights to work in the nation followed by a pathway to become US permanent resident.
6. Can a B1/B2 Visa holder apply for Green Card?
A B1/B2 visa holder cannot apply for a Green Card directly. First, he must change his visa status to non-immigrant worker visa (H1B visa), earn a standard income in the United States, meet the eligibility requirements of permanent residency and then apply for a Green Card.
7. What you can do on B1/B2 Visa?
- Visit the United States for all aspects related to business (tie-ups, hiring, training, perform research etc.)
- Attend seminars, sports events, entertainment events, etc.
- Invest money, spend or purchase products related to your business.
- Claim medical care as a visitor or undergo medical treatment.
- Accompany your family (using the B2 visa status),
- Work as a domestic servant for a person on B1/B2 visa.
- Attend up to 18 hours (weekly) of recreational classes.
8. What you cannot do on B1/B2 Visa?
- You cannot work (paid employment)
- You cannot claim permanent resident rights
- You cannot apply for US citizenship
“If you are caught working for any company on a B1/B2 visa, you may be charged under criminal offense by USCIS (a component of the Department of Homeland Security). Hence, applicants must note that working on a B1/B2 visa is strictly not allowed”
9. What are the requirements to apply for B1/2 Visa?
All foreign nationals who intend to apply for this business cum tourist visa are required to meet several visa requirements before they apply for the visa.
- Present your purpose of trip and plan to the authorities.
- Intend to reside in the United States for a specific time period only.
- Provide evidence of sufficient to cover your stay in the United States or have a sponsor in the US who is willing to sponsor your tour.
- Arrange documents that are required for the visa process.
- Provide a statement that you ties to your home country and intend to return to the home country before the visa expires.
10. What is the cost of B1/B2 Visa in India?
The cost of applying for a B1/B2 is $160. This cost is applicable as the application fee. If you are applying for a B2/B2 visa under the assistance of a visa agent, the consultant services in India may be applicable.
11. What are the documents required for B1/B2 Visa?
- Non-immigrant visa electronic application form (DS-160)
- Valid passport
- Sponsorship letter (if being sponsored)
- Income proof
- Identity proof
- Cover letter
12. How to apply for B1/B2 Visa from India?
To apply for the B1/B2 visa all visa applicants are supposed to go through the below process:
- Fill the application form online (DS-160).
- Pay the required visa fees.
- Schedule your visa interview.
- Attend the visa interview at the nearest embassy or consulate.
- Carry all suggested documents (as per checklist) to visa interview.
- Submit biometrics.
- Follow-up with consulate till visa is received.
If you are wondering what the suggested documents are as per the checklist, consult our visa consultant in India. We help you in preparing for a checklist of documents depending upon what will be asked for your purpose or tour and profile.
What’s more? We also help you in filling the DS-160 form without any errors.
Filling application right and submitting accurate documents is mandatory. Any errors may lead to rejection and submitting fraud documents may lead you to permanent ineligibility for any visa type of United States.
With Kansas Overseas Careers you also get assistance documents verification, interview booking, interview preparation, follow-up with consulate and a lot more.