Living with Spouse & Family in Canada
Service Delivery Manager
Nagaraj is a veteran in processing Canada visas. He proves as the best professional to handle all PR visa process.
Being a citizen of another country, it is hard to stay away from your loved ones. Immigration laws in Canada had made it much easier for spouses of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to stay with them.
You can now sponsor your family members for their permanent residency in Canada.
As a Canadian citizen, you can also sponsor parent or grandparents through the Super Visa initiative. Thanks to Canada's immigration laws, sponsorship for your conjugal partner is also easy now.
Being the most popular immigration category in Canada, the spousal sponsorship program has offered an opportunity for numerous people to stay in Canada with their partner.
Many families have been reunited with their loved ones to lead a joyous life together in Canada.
As Canada has a strict set of rules for immigration laws, to provide sponsorship you must follow a specific set of guidelines.
If you are unaware of the sponsorship rules in Canada, here are a few common questions asked to our consultants and we think answers these may help you too!
Who can be sponsored under the spousal sponsorship program?
Isn't is important to know which family individual fall under the sponsorship program? The following list would help you. Family members under the following category are eligible for sponsorship:
- Spousal sponsorship: It involves a marital relationship. All you need to do is provide proof of your marriage certificate. The immigration authorities would validate the certificate and the genuinity in the relationship.
The same rule falls for the following sponsorship categories too. Know the simply way to Spousal Sponsorship.
- Common-law partner sponsorship: It involves two people who have been living together in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year.
- Conjugal partner sponsorships: When two people are living together but are not able to marry due to certain circumstances or barriers in their home country, fall under this category.
- Parental sponsorships: This allows parents and grandparents to obtain permanent resident status in Canada. The super visa initiative helps to ease this process.
- Dependent child sponsorship: This sponsorship category allows your child under the age of 22 who don't have a spouse or a common-law relationship to obtain the benefit.
The Canadian immigration government expects the sponsor to provide the necessary proof to complete the application process. The couple must be in a relationship for at least one year.
It is also possible for you to sponsor adopted children or orphans who are under the age of 18 years old. You need to provide the necessary documents to succeed in this process.
Canada being the fourth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage, relationships under that category are now considered valid for immigration purposes.
This can be one of the many reasons why immigration law in Canada is being celebrated.
What are the requirements to sponsor your spouse in Canada?
- If you are above 18 years old and a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada, you are eligible to sponsor. You must be eligible to provide basic needs to the sponsored person.
- If you live in the Quebec province of Canada, you must fulfill Quebec's guidelines for sponsorship. Apart from this, the common requirements such as medical and criminal background checks, marriage certificate or relationship proof and financial support from both ends.
- The Canadian government would expect a written agreement from the sponsor to support their relatives for a period of 20 years for parents and grandparents, 10 years for children and three years for spouses, conjugal partners or common-law partners.
- On the other hand, your spouse should also fall under the same category. They should not have any criminal backgrounds and must be 18 years or older. The principal applicant must also provide their birth certificate and must undergo a medical exam to avoid problems.
- The sponsor must pay the biometrics fee and the right of permanent residence fee to complete the application process. The sponsor may also need to pay a third-party fee for medical exams and police certificates.
Even if you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, you must show proof of plans to live in Canada after your spouse becomes a permanent resident.
You cannot sponsor your spouse or partner if you are less than 18 years old and if you are not a Canadian citizen or a Canada PR.
You may also not fall under the eligibility if you don't have enough money to support your spouse, partner, parents, or dependent children.
Also, if your spouse has a criminal record, the application process can be complicated.
Your spouse can be declared inadmissible to Canada due to a criminal record and they cannot legally enter the country unless they are approved by the Canadian authorities.
How long does it take to get a spouse visa for Canada from India?
After the submission of the basic visa requirements, it takes approximately 8 to 10 months for a spouse visa in Canada. The time durability depends upon the flawlessness of your applications.
As Canada allows two types of sponsorship - outland and inland sponsorship, the process of the inland sponsorship is much easier and faster than the outland sponsorship.
Generally, the inland sponsorship category, it takes only two to three weeks to complete the application process.
What are the different types of Canada's spousal sponsorship?
As mentioned above, there are two main spousal sponsorship categories. Outland and Inland sponsorship.
Outland sponsorship is applied when the sponsored partner is living outside of Canada. The only disadvantage of this process is that the application takes a long time to get approved.
It takes approximately 8 to 10 months for the application to get processed. The spouse can apply for a temporary visa while the permanent residence application is being processed.
When the sponsored partner also resides in Canada on a temporary status such as a student or a visitor, it is then known as inland sponsorship.
Your spouse can also is qualified for an open-work permit while the sponsorship application is being processed.
This is the easiest and fastest way to get permanent citizenship in Canada to stay with your spouse. It takes approximately two to three weeks for the application to be processed.
My spouse is already inside of Canada as a visitor, how can you obtain a work permit?
Compared to other options, it is easier to get your spouse an open work permit in Canada, if your spouse is already residing in Canada. Processing time takes approximately two to three weeks.
Non -requirement of work experience is the best part of the spouse work permit. You can stay together with your spouse in Canada with the same validity on Visa.
Your spouse can apply for a work permit which would deem them eligible to work inside Canada. Since the work permit is not job-specific, your spouse can work for any employer.
This feature has made it easier for partners living in Canada to live together and build their career.
Does your spouse get a visa in Canada when you are doing a Ph.D. there?
Spouses of students studying in Canada who have a valid study permit can apply for a work permit or visitor visa, provided that you and your spouse meet the basic eligibility criteria.
Proof for financial stability, which is the most important criteria, must also be provided.
Assessing the genuine relationship with your spouse is one the main concern for the immigration authorities. Duration, quality, and compatibility among other proof are assessed by the authorities to validate your relationship.
Once the application is reviewed by the embassy, you would be able to fly to Canada to live with your partner.
Simultaneously, spouse can also apply for a work or study permit, to build a career together and provide for the basic needs.
Do you want to sponsor your family to join you?
Before deciding to sponsor your spouse or a family member to immigrate to Canada, you have to think it through. You must follow the basic eligibility criteria and the most important part is the funding and financial stability.
Be aware of your funding options and think whether you can support your spouse and yourself in the future.
Check whether you and your spouse have the necessary documents to go through the application process. Following strict guidelines and paperwork are a must before applying sponsorship for your partner.
As Canada has made it easy with the immigration law, we will make it easier for you. By the assistance of our immigration consultants, you can sponsor your family or your spouse to live in Canada.
The application process for the spouse or common-law partner sponsorships can be made through our office.
Since this is a complex and time-consuming process, expert advice before application is always recommended. In this aspect too, we can help you. Contact us today!