Germany is the largest national economy in Europe. There is a high demand for skilled professionals in the automotive industry (worth 436 billion euros in 2019), healthcare industry (372 billion euros in 2019) and the electrical engineering industry sector (191 billion euros in 2019) in Germany. This opens a ton of employment opportunities, and the Germany Job Seeker visa would be your first step towards that goal.
The IT sector and the chemical and pharmaceutical sector has also shown a spike in job vacancies in Germany over the past few years. Learn all about the requirements for a Germany Job Seeker visa that allows you to look for a job and attend interviews in this read.
What is a Germany Job Seeker Visa?
The German Job Seeker is a long-term residency visa that allows skilled foreign nationals to come to Germany and look for a job.
A Germany Job Seeker Visa is valid for six months.
If you find a job in Germany during the 6 months that you are in the country, you will not be permitted to work. You can either convert it to an employment residence permit or you can apply for an EU Blue Card.
Note: This visa doesn't allow you for an extension. If you are unable to find employment in Germany in 6 months, you may have to return to your home country.
Eligibility Requirements of a Germany Job Seeker Visa
The major requirements of a German Job Seeker visa can be categorized into 2 parts:
1. Basic eligibility criteria
To be eligible for this visa as a foreign national, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Age: You must be 18 years of age or above
- Educational qualification: You must hold a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree either from a German university or a recognized university from another country
- Work experience: You must have at least 5 years of work experience in a related field of work
- Financial status: You must prove that you have enough funds to cover all the expenses throughout your stay in Germany
2. Required documents
You must provide legal documents for all the claims made in your work visa application.
The documents necessary for this visa application are:
- Valid passport
- Identity proof
- Two duly-filled and printed application forms with your signature
- Visa application fee receipt
- Three passport-sized photographs
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- Educational credentials
- Work experience proof for at least 5 years in the same line of work
- Purpose of visit letter (mandatory) with reason to choose Germany for a job, stay duration of your stay, your plans to find a Germany job and alternate plans if you do not find a Germany job
- Health insurance that is valid throughout your stay in Germany
- Proof of funds of upto 6 lakh
- Accommodation proof for your 6 month stay in Germany
- Proof of personal status (birth certificate, marriage certificates, death certificate if widowed, etc)
Please note that documentation could be a complicated task. Talk to our experts at Kansas and get the best guidance for your German Job Seeker visa application.
How to apply for a German Job Seeker Visa?
If you are applying for a German Job Seeker visa then you need to follow this procedure:
- Check eligibility
- Keep documents ready
- Submit your visa application
- Take visa appointment at a German Embassy
- Attend an interview at the Embassy
- Pay visa fee
Permanent Residency with the Job Seeker visa in Germany
The Germany Job Seeker visa does not directly give you permanent residency.
To be eligible for a permanent residence permit, you must hold a temporary residence permit first. You will receive a temporary residence permit only when you find employment with a Germany visa.
You can apply for a German permanent residence permit after completing 5 years as an employee in Germany.
What is the Cost of a German Job Seeker Visa?
The Germany Job Seeker visa has an application fee of €75 (approx. INR 6665). Please note that this visa application fee is non-refundable.
Find the detailed information on the cost breakdown of the Germany Job Seeker visa.
What are the funds required to live in Germany?
The blocked account must have €853 (approx. INR 75,809) blocked for each month you live in Germany. So, for a 6 months long stay in Germany with this visa, you must have €5118 (approx. INR 454852) blocked before you travel to Germany.
Germany Job Seeker Visa Processing time
Usually a Germany Job Seeker visa takes about four to six weeks.
Other Important FAQs
Is IELTS required for a German Job Seeker Visa?
No. IELTS is not required for a Germany Job Seeker visa.
You might need to be proficient in the German language. But, you don’t need to take a test for that as well.
What are the Requirements for Proof of Funds for a German Job Seeker Visa?
To prove your financial status you can make use of the following:
- Bank statement
- Declaration of commitment “Verpflichtungserklärungen” (VE):
- This document verifies that you have a sponsor who will cover all your expenses in Germany.
- Your sponsor must be a legal German resident.
- This document is valid for 6 months.
- Blocked bank statement
Do I require a Job Seeker visa if I am applying from the US?
No. You don’t need to apply for a German Job Seeker visa if you are a US citizen.
But, you need to apply for a temporary residence permit instead.
Can I bring my spouse and children with the German Job Seeker Visa?
No. You cannot bring your family members with a Germany Job Seeker visa.
Can I extend the job Seeker Visa in Germany?
No. You cannot extend a Germany Job Seeker visa.
If you could not secure employment within a valid duration then you will have to return to your country.
Who needs a Job Seeker Visa in Germany?
Most foreign nationals need a Job Seeker visa to travel to Germany to find work.
But, citizens of the following countries do not need a Job Seeker visa:
- EU (European Union) countries
- EEA (European Economic Area) countries
Citizens of the following countries do not need a Job Seeker visa, but, they must get a temporary residence permit before arriving in Germany:
- United States of America
- New Zealand
Citizens of all other countries that are not mentioned in the above lists need a German Job Seeker visa.
Can I get a job without speaking German?
Yes. You can get employment in Germany without having to speak German.
Even though being able to speak German is a must in many parts of Germany, there are employment options that demand English-speaking as well.
You can apply for these jobs that require English-speaking.
Here are some Germany jobs that do not require the spoken German language:
- Software developer
- Customer Service
- Systems Administrator
- Digital Marketing
- Social Media Manager
- Management Consultancy
- Content Writing
Even though you might find a non-German speaking job, you will need it outside of your workplace as most people in Germany speak the German language.
Most employers will demand a German language vocational training certificate as eligibility criteria. You must score at least a B1 according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
Can I convert my Student Visa to a Job Seeker Visa in Germany?
No. You cannot convert a Student visa to a Job Seeker visa in Germany. Please note that a Job Seeker visa has a different set of eligibility requirements.
What restrictions apply for travelling to Germany due to COVID-19?
If you have stayed in a high-risk area 10 days before entering Germany, it is mandatory for you to:
- Take an RT-PCR test before flying to Germany
- Complete a Digital Registration on Entry
- Fill the Substitute Registration form if website registration isn’t possible
- Carry proof of this registration to Germany
- Undergo 10-day quarantine irrespective of your test results
- Go directly to your quarantine home after entering Germany
- Make arrangements for this quarantine before flying to Germany
If you don’t have any arrangements then the Immigration department requests you to refrain from flying to Germany.
Contact your nearest Embassy or Consulate for specific updates related to your country about the travel restrictions.
We hope that this blog has been helpful for you to understand the requirements of a German Job Seeker Visa. To summarize,
- The Germany Job Seeker visa is valid for six months during which you can look for a job in the country
- You must have at least 5 years of experience to be considered as a ‘skilled professional’ for this visa
- You must have adequate funds, accommodation arrangements and health insurance to cover your stay in Germany for 6 months
- You must have proper documentation to prove your educational qualifications and identity proof
- The cost of application is €75 (approx. INR 6665), and you can expect a visa processing time of about four to six weeks.
Hiring a visa consultant who is experienced with the Germany Job Seeker Visa can be beneficial if you are applying for the first time. We can help you complete your application correctly, gather all the necessary documents and also help you with your job search in Germany.
You can talk to our visa experts by connecting with us to get started with your job search in Germany.