Canada allows young and fit skilled professionals who can positively contribute to the economic growth of the country to apply for a PR visa. Be it an international student opting for higher studies or a foreign skilled worker, every immigrant has to undergo medical tests.
Your immigration to Canada relies on your good medical conditions as per the common law. To help you answer all your queries regarding health examinations of Canada, here is a quick glance that every prospective permanent resident applicant must know. Read along.
Medical Test Requirements for Canada Permanent Resident Immigration Status
All permanent resident applicants are required to undergo a medical exam, including accompanying spouses, partners, and dependent children.
Even if you are going to be a temporary resident as a live-in caregiver or a visitor, a medical exam is mandatory for all visa applicants.
Where and whom to get a medical exam done from?
You can get your immigration medical examination in your home country, or any country of your choice. The most important condition for the exam would be that the doctor conducting your physical examination must be a panel physician.
- The doctor included in the list as a designated panel physician approved by IRCC can only conduct the immigration medical examination.
- Only these doctors are authorized to conduct your examination and issue a Health Certificate.
What medical tests are required for Canadian immigration?
General physical checks for eyes, nose, heart, lungs, and others, chest X-rays, blood tests for HIV and Syphilis and urine tests are common tests that immigrants must undergo when applying for a Canadian PR.
A Temporary resident visa applicant must take the medical exam if:
- You’ve lived in or visited one of these countries for at least six months within the previous year.
- You are planning to work in a job where public health must be protected.
- You are applying for a parent or grandparent super visa.
Applicants for Canada Permanent Residence must take a medical exam. Accompanying spouses, common law partners, and dependent children must also undergo these tests.
Confused about the medical requirements for Canada PR?
List of Medical Exams Required to Immigrate to Canada
Even if you are going to be a temporary resident as a live-in caregiver or a visitor, a medical exam is mandatory for all the visa applicants. The following important medical tests are carried out for your Canada immigration:
Thorough Physical Examination
- This medical exam includes the check-up for your eyes, nose, heart, lungs and other important functional organs. You should discuss any major health issue in the past with the doctor at this point.
- If it doesn’t bear any adverse impact currently, the doctors would consider it positive.
- This is an important medical examination to determine any persisting issues with crucial systems.
- If a female applicant is pregnant, the X-Ray test is avoided for better health of the fetus.
- However, after the birth of the child, the mother and the newborn need to take a few tests.
- To get the permanent resident card in Canada, the applicant needs to be free from major diseases and disorders such as active TB, HIV and Syphilis.
- The blood test is an important diagnostic test for various other disorders that affect your overall health as well.
- An in detail examination of your urine sample in the state of the art laboratory is also carried out to determine subsequent medical issues. From issues such as diabetes to various major problems can be diagnosed through this test.
Note: It is important to note that the civil surgeon listed on the panel can only conduct your medical exam and issue a Health Certificate. The decision regarding issuing the visa solely relies on the Department of Citizenship & Immigration Canada.
What are the requirements for a Medical Health Examination to apply for a Canada PR?
- You and your family members need to be healthy as per the regulations of Canada immigration.
- They conduct your exam along with the family members to ensure that your current or expected medical conditions don’t create trouble for the Canadian Health or Social Services.
Note: People suffering from diseases, medical conditions or psychiatric conditions that require hospitalization and continual medical care are usually considered inadmissible to Canada after the medical examination.
Cost of Medical Tests
A series of medical tests will set you back by around 5000-9000 INR. These would include the X-rays and all major blood tests that are listed above.
Validity of Medical Tests
The Health Certificate issued by the panel physician is valid for the next year. If you apply for a Canada PR Visa after one year from the date of issue of the Health Certificate, you may need to repeat the process.
What to expect during your Medical exam?
Only an approved panel physician can do a complete medical exam for immigration application reasons.
When you arrive
- The panel physician or clinic staff will ask you for identification to confirm your identity. If you’re referred for an x-ray or other tests, you may be asked to present your identification again when you go for those tests.
Medical History Questionnaire
- The doctor will fill out a medical history questionnaire with you.
- This questionnaire is about any previous or existing medical conditions.
- They’ll also ask you about any medications you’re taking.
- It’s important to tell the panel physician about any previous or existing medical conditions. Processing your medical exam could take longer if you don’t.
The doctor or medical clinic staff will:
- Weigh you
- Measure your height
- Check your hearing and vision
- Take your blood pressure
- Feel your pulse
- Listen to your heart and lungs
- Feel your abdomen
- Check how your limbs move
- Look at your skin
- Depending on your age, you may be asked to do chest x-rays and laboratory tests at the clinic or a laboratory.
- You may be referred to a specialist for more testing, depending on the results of your medical exam. Complete this at the earliest to avoid delays in the processing of your medical examination.
Right to have a Chaperone
You have the right to a chaperone at any time during the medical exam.
- Ask the medical clinic to have a staff member in the room
- Stop the exam at any time to ask questions about what the doctor is doing
- Stop the exam and ask for a chaperone, even if you refused one at first
After your exam is done
- Once the exam is done, the physician will send us the results. The doctor will give you a document confirming that you had a medical exam.
- If you’re unsatisfied with how the panel physician or panel radiologist did your medical exam, you may:
What are the Jobs for which you need a Medical Exam when applying for a visa?
- Health Sciences Workers
- Clinical laboratory Workers
- Patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
- Medical students admitted to Canada Universities
- Medical Electives and Physicians
- Teachers of primary or secondary schools
- Domestic workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
- Day Nursery Employees
- Agricultural Workers
Other Important FAQs
What is the eligibility criteria for Canada Permanent Residence?
We’ve listed the eligibility criteria for you:
- The best age group to score better points is 18 – 35 years.
- You should at least have a bachelor’s degree in any stream.
- Documents should be sent for educational credential assessment( ECA)
- You must attempt IELTS and pass it with the asked score to prove your English Language proficiency.
- No criminal record,
- Good health and character.
Note: There should not be any criminal charges or convictions for you when you apply for Canadian Permanent Residency Visa. Your valid passport is usually issued verifying your criminal record checks history.
What to Expect in a Canada PR immigration?
- As Canada immigration programs are primarily points based, you will be asked to score 67 points in Canada immigration test.
- These points are allotted for your age, qualification, work experience, language proficiency, good health
- You will be asked to state which program you would like to apply for.
- There are plenty of programs for foreign workers like Express Entry program, Quebec program, provincial nominee program, etc.
- Even if you are filing for a PR visa through a sponsorship application, you need to specify the same.
- You must nominate an occupation from the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and demonstrate 2 years of work experience.
What is the Processing Time for Canada PR?
For applicants through Express Entry, it may take around 1 to 2 months to get citizenship canada and immigration canada and for the applicants through other programs, it requires a processing time of around 3 months.
How long can you wait to go to Canada after your PR visa is approved?
When you get a positive PR decision from Immigration & Citizenship Canada, you need to land in Canada as soon as possible to activate your permanent resident card.
This needs to be done before the expiry of your passport and your Health Certificate after the medical exam.
Be it an international student opting for higher studies or a skilled worker with an eligible profile, the Immigration and citizenship department of Canada offers a welcoming hand to all.
However, sufficient points, good health and fund maintenance are the prime requirements of making the entry successful.
Here are the medical tests you need to take for Canada PR:
- Physical Examination
- Chest X-rays
- Blood Test
- Urine Test
If you have any queries regarding the medical test requirements for Canada Permanent Resident immigration, our experts can guide you.
How Can Kansas Help?
Kansas Overseas Careers specializes in Permanent Residency Visas, Work Visas, Study Visas, Temporary visas, and Dependent Visas to Canada, UK, USA, Germany, and Hong Kong.
Apart from these services, Kansas offers its clients personalized services such as:
- Profile Evaluation: Professional guidance based on an in-depth assessment of the client profile to determine the chances of visa success.
- Documents & Review: Detailed, error-free documentation based on the visa type drafted to meet specific formats.
- Dedicated Case Officer: A dedicated consultant to assist clients throughout the process.
- Visa Filing: Kansas ensures that the visa applications meet all the standard requirements of concerned immigration authorities and governing bodies.
- Test Preparations: Complimentary online courses are offered to help aspirants improve their Language Proficiency for important exams like IELTS, French, TOEFL, and PTE.
- Visa & Interview: Guidance is provided for aspirants attending visa interviews along with verified documents.
- Post-Landing Service: Kansas helps clients settle down in the new country with a comfortable stay after they have received their visas.
Additional services offered to job-seekers:
- Resume Writing: Dedicated team of resume experts to craft the best resumes that meet prerequisites of immigration authorities and potential employers. This greatly improves their chances of selection.
- Profile Marketing: Kansas is well-known for creating the best-in-class portfolios that boost applicant profiles in job-portals. And yes, this is a complimentary service!
Get started with your migration to Canada from Saudi Arabia today!