Be it an international student opting for higher studies or a skilled worker with an eligible profile, the Immigration and citizenship department of Canada offers a welcoming hand to all. However, sufficient points, good health and fund maintenance are the prime requirements of making the entry successful.
As the prime reason of citizenship and immigration, Canada is to find talent that can healthily contribute to the economic growth of the country, only young and fit professionals are given a chance to migrate.
Importance of Medical test for Canada PR
Who needs a Medical Exam?
1. Temporary residents planning to stay six months or more
- You’ve lived in or visited one of these countries for at least six months within the previous year.
- You are planning to work in a job where public health must be protected.
- You are applying for a parent or grandparent super visa.
2. Permanent residents:
All permanent resident applicants are required to undergo a medical exam, including accompanying spouses, partners, and dependent children. Even if you are going to be a temporary resident as a live-in caregiver or a visitor, a medical exam is mandatory for all the visa applicants.
For almost every immigration program, including Express Entry, you are required to furnish the report. As discussed earlier, a panel physician would conduct your medical exam and provide a Health Certificate if you are healthy according to the set standard parameters.
In case if you are migrating along with the spouse and a dependent child as a skilled immigrant, it is essential to get the medical exam done for all the aspiring immigrants within the prescribed time frame.
Thus, your residency in Canada relies on your good medical conditions as per the common law.
Medical Test for Canada PR: Where and whom to get it done from?
You can get your medical examination in the home country, or any country of your choice. The most important condition for the exam would be about the doctor conducting your physical examination. The doctor conducting the exam needs to be a panel physician.
The doctor included in the list as a designated panel physician approved by the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada; can only conduct the immigration medical examination. Only these doctors are authorized to conduct your examination and issue a Health Certificate.
It is important to note that the civil surgeon listed on the panel can only conduct your medical exam and issue a Health Certificate. The decision regarding issuing the visa solely relies on the Department of Citizenship & Immigration Canada.
List of Medical Exams for Canada Immigration:
The authorities make sure that all-inclusive medical exams are undertaken by each visa applicant. So, it is vital to understand the medical requirements for Canada PR in terms of the tests that the doctors conduct.
The following important medical tests are carried out for your Canada immigration:
Thorough physical examination
This medical exam includes the check-up for your eyes, nose, heart, lungs and other important functional organs. You should discuss any major health issue in the past with the doctor at this point. If it doesn’t bear any adverse impact currently, the doctors would consider it positive.
This is an important medical examination to determine any persisting issues with crucial systems. If a female applicant is pregnant, the X-Ray test is avoided for better health of the fetus. However, after the birth of the child, the mother and the newborn need to take a few tests.
To get the permanent resident card in Canada, the applicant needs to be free from major diseases and disorders such as active TB, HIV and Syphilis. A thorough examination of your blood is conducted to make sure that there are no traces of these diseases. Apart from this, the blood test is an important diagnostic test for various other disorders that affect your overall health as well.
An in detail examination of your urine sample in the state of the art laboratory is also carried out to determine subsequent medical issues. From issues such as diabetes to various major problems can be diagnosed through this test.
The physician would consider all your medical reports and based on these results, a Health Certificate is issued. This is an important document that must be enclosed with your visa application for your immigration and green card in Canada.
What are the requirements for a Medical Health Examination to apply for a Canada PR?
There are also a few eligibility criteria you need to look into when it comes to medical health in Canada :
- You and your family members need to be healthy as per the regulations of Canada immigration. A medical certificate of all family members irrespective of whether they are migrating or not will be asked.
- You need to undergo an exam along with the family members to ensure your health is not a barrier to your immigration dreams. There are certain norms regarding the medical conditions to immigrate to Canada.
- It is important to know about the rules and regulations and the medical exam. They conduct your exam along with the family members to ensure that your current or expected medical conditions don’t create trouble for the Canadian Health or Social Services. Any excessive demand for medical care and regular medication must be avoided.
- You, along with your family members need to undergo an immigration medical exam, to understand your family’s health history and that it does not have any adverse impacts in the future.
- If in case, your spouse is supposed to travel with you to Canada, the health certificate for him or her would also be an important requirement for approval of visa.
- It is important to note that people suffering from diseases, medical conditions or psychiatric conditions that require hospitalization and continual medical care are usually considered inadmissible to Canada, after the medical examination.
Cost of Medical Tests
A series of medical tests will set you back by around 5000-9000 INR. These would include the X-rays and all major blood tests that are listed above.
Validity of Medical Tests
The Health Certificate issued by the panel physician is valid for the next year. If you apply for a Canada PR Visa after one year from the date of issue of the Health Certificate, you may need to repeat the process.
What to expect during your Medical exam?
Only an approved panel physician can do a complete medical exam for immigration reasons.
When you arrive
The panel physician or clinic staff will ask you for identification to confirm your identity. If you’re referred for an x-ray or other tests, you may be asked to present your identification again when you go for those tests. Your picture will also be taken for our records.
Medical history questionnaire
The doctor will fill out a medical history questionnaire with you. This questionnaire is about any previous or existing medical conditions. They’ll also ask you about any medications you’re taking. It’s important to tell the panel physician about any previous or existing medical conditions. Processing your medical exam could take longer if you don’t.
You’ll undergo a physical exam.
The doctor or medical clinic staff will:
- weigh you
- measure your height
- check your hearing and vision
- take your blood pressure
- feel your pulse
- listen to your heart and lungs
- feel your abdomen
- check how your limbs move
- look at your skin
The doctor or medical clinic staff won’t examine your genitals or rectal area. These parts of the body aren’t required for the immigration medical exam.
The doctor may need to examine your breasts. If they do, they will provide you with an explanation of why and how the examination is being done.
Other possible tests
Depending on your age, you may be asked to do chest x-rays and laboratory tests at the clinic or a laboratory. This is routine screening and the doctor will discuss any abnormal results with you.
You may be referred to a specialist for more testing, depending on the results of your medical exam. We ask that you complete this request as soon as possible to avoid delays in the processing of your medical examination.
Right to have a chaperone
You have the right to a chaperone at any time during the medical exam.
- ask the medical clinic to have a staff member in the room
- stop the exam at any time to ask questions about what the doctor is doing
- stop the exam and ask for a chaperone, even if you refused one at first
If you have questions or feel uncomfortable with a part of the exam, please ask the panel physician to stop and tell them about your concerns.
After your exam is done
Once the exam is done, the physician will send us the results. The doctor will give you a document confirming that you had a medical exam.
Whether you took an upfront exam or not, keep a copy of the print out given to you by the panel physician as proof of your immigration medical exam.
If you’re unsatisfied with how the panel physician or panel radiologist did your medical exam, you may:
When to send your medical exam results
Whether you took an upfront exam or not, the doctor will send us the results.
Keep a copy of any document or print out given to you by the panel physician as proof of your immigration medical exam.
Jobs for which you need a medical exam
You may need a medical exam because of the type of job you want to do in Canada.
Examples of such jobs are:
Jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
- workers in the health sciences field
- clinical laboratory workers
- patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
- medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
- medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
- teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
- domestic workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery employees and
- other similar jobs
Agricultural workers who’ve visited or lived in one of these countries for more than 6 months during the past year.
How can Kansas Help you?
Kansas Overseas Careers is the best immigration consultant in India. Don’t take our word for it, we have the numbers to prove it. Our success rate is 98.23 %.
We are the best immigration agents because,
- We are an ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council)-approved, RCIC Immigration agent. Kansas Overseas Careers work with an independent ICCRC agent for all aspects of PR immigration visa.
- Dedicated Case Officer: We offer personal assistance and a single point of contact between the company and you, throughout the process
- Decade-long Expertise: We have an experienced team with a proven track of success
- Guided documentation: Right from evaluation to Visa application and documentation, followed by post-landing services.
- Highlighting opportunities: Highlighting high-potential opportunities across global industries
- Helping you succeed: Be it providing you interview training, French/English courses or working samples for resumes, cover letters or assisting with application forms, medical or police clearance certificates - we will always be there for you.
You can expect a one-stop solution for all your visa needs from profile evaluation, documentation, application drafting to post-visa services with Kansas.
Who is Eligible to apply for a Canada PR?
- The best age group to score better points is 18 – 35 years. However, even if you are under 40 years of age, you can get good points. This is the most productive age in your lifespan.
- You should at least have a bachelor’s degree in any stream. This enhances your capabilities to have rewarding career opportunities in Canada.
- Also, you are required to send your qualification documents for educational credential assessment to World Education Services in order to determine whether your education meets the Canadian standards or not.
- You must attempt IELTS and pass it with the asked score, so as to prove your English Language proficiency.
- You must not have any criminal charges or convictions when you apply for the Canadian Permanent Residency Visa. Your valid passport is usually issued verifying your criminal history.
- Again, some additional criminal record checks can be conducted.
Why take a Medical Test for Canada PR?
The health of aspiring immigrants is one of the important concerns. The authorities would prefer people with good health over people with medical conditions or disabilities that require continual care and medication.
What to expect in a Canada PR immigration?
- As Canada immigration is primarily points based, you will be asked to score 67 points in Canada immigration test.
- These points are allotted for your age, qualification, work experience, language proficiency, good health So, you will be asked to prove all these factors as per the rules set by Canada immigration authorities and score eligible points for the same.
- You will be asked to state which program you would like to apply for. There are plenty of programs for foreign workers like Express Entry program, Quebec program, provincial nominee program, etc.
- Even if you are filing for a PR visa through a sponsorship application, you need to specify the same.
- You must nominate an occupation from the National Occupational Classification (NOC) and demonstrate 2 years of work experience in the same or in an occupation that is closely related.
What is the Processing for Canada PR?
The authorities carry out a criminal background check, ask for passport verification & stamping, Police Clearance Certificate and some other formalities after you submit the medical reports or your Health Certificate issued by a panel physician.
For applicants through Express Entry, it may take around 1 to 2 months to get a Canada PR Visa and for the applicants through other programs, it requires a processing time of around 3 months.
How long can you wait to go to Canada after your PR visa is approved?
When you get a positive PR decision from Immigration & Citizenship Canada, you need to land in Canada as soon as possible to activate your permanent resident card.
This needs to be done before the expiry of your passport and your Health Certificate after the medical exam.