Canada has now become a top destination for immigrants from all around the globe. In 2019, Canada approved over 4,00,000 study permits of which 1.39 Lakh permits were given to Indian students.
Canada undisputedly has one of the best education systems in the world. There are also plenty of opportunities for students to earn as they study. If you study in Canada, you are more likely to land a well-paying job in the country and settle permanently in Canada with your family as a permanent resident.
Read on to find out how you can apply for a student visa from India in this article.
The 7 Important Study Visa Requirements for Canada
To be eligible for a Canadian study permit, you must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- DLI Acceptance letter: You must have acceptance from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI). The university or institute you want to study in Canada must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory that is on the approved list
- Proof of funds: You have to prove that you have sufficient funds for your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation expenses for themselves and a family member who accompanies them to Canada.
- No Criminal record: You must have a clean criminal record to prove that you are a law-abiding citizen of your native country. The aspirants have to provide a police certification to prove that they are not a threat to Canada’s security
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME): You must also be in good health and not prove a risk for the natives of the maple country. You require a valid medical certificate from a recognized doctor taken one week before your begin your Visa Application
- Intention to leave: You need to prove to the immigration officer that you will leave the country once your education is complete
- English Language Proficiency Test (not mandatory, but recommended): IELTS score sheet with a score band of 6 for undergraduate courses and an overall band of 6.5 for post graduate programs
- Statement of Purpose: A good SOP goes a long way and can strongly affect your chances of acceptance.
Note: You are expected to have a negative COVID-19 test result prior to boarding international flights to Canada according to the recent announcement on January 7, 2021 for air travellers.
Process of Applying for a Student Permit
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Apply for admission to a college/university
The first step to initiate the Canadian study visa process is getting approval of admission or an offer letter from a recognized educational institution. There are innumerable colleges and universities in Canada that offer a range of degrees and study programs for students.
Step 2: Pay the fees
After getting an offer letter, the next step for you is paying the fees to the college or university. You can pay your fees through the International Wire Transfer. When the institution receives and processes your fee, you will get a receipt for the same. Save the receipt as will be required when you send your visa application.
Step 3: Purchase GIC
The next step for a student is to buy the Guaranteed Investment Scheme or GIC. It is mandatory for each foreign student to have GIC to take care of the living expenses once they reach Canada. The amount of GIC is $10,200 that can be purchased from any participating bank.
The bank deducts approximately $200 as their administrative charges, but it may vary from bank to bank. You will receive $2,000 immediately upon landing in Canada, and you will receive the rest of the $8,000 in 12 equal installments for your living expenses.
Step 4: Go through the medical examination
Now, you will have to go through a medical examination from a doctor recognized by Canada’s government. While the report of your medical examination will go directly to the immigration authorities, you will receive a receipt for it. The receipt will be submitted at the time of application.
Step 5: Apply for a visa
The next step here is to actually apply for a Canadian student visa.
Step 6: Get your visa
In case your application gets approved, you will receive a notification from the Government of Canada requesting your passport. You can submit it in person or through VFS. After that, you will get a temporary resident visa and a letter of introduction.
Need help with your student visa application? We can help you with a smooth and error-free Canada study visa process.
Annual University Intakes in Canada
Intake 1: Fall Semester – September
Intake 2: Winter Semester – January
Intake 3: Summer Semester – April/May (available for limited programs and universities)
Documents Required to Immigrate to Canada on a Student Visa
Every aspirant who wants to apply for a student visa to Canada must submit a few documents with their application. Here are all the documents you need for the Canada student visa process:
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI)
- Proof of Funds
- Immigration Medical Examination
- Education transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates
- Language Proficiency Score
- Statement of Purpose
- Travel Documents
- Passport size photographs
- Documents for various test score like GMAT, GRE, IELTS, etc
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD 10,000
- Proof of payment for visa application fee
- Proof of work experience with payslips
Processing Fee for Canada Student Visa
A study permit (including extensions) for Canada will cost you CAD 150 (approx. INR 8595)
Proof of Funds required for aCanada Study Permit
The minimum funds required for the applicant and family members are:
Outside Quebec (CAD)
In Quebec (CAD)
First Family Member
5,100 - 3,800
Every Additional Family Member
5,125 - 1,903
Cost of studying in Canada (approximate figures)
- Undergraduate program: CAD 13,000 to CAD 20,000
- Postgraduate master's degree: CAD 17,000 to CAD 25,000
- Doctoral degree: CAD 7,000 to CAD 15,000
- MBA: CAD 30,000 to CAD 40,000
- On-campus stay: approx. CAD 8,000 to CAD 10,000 annually
- Shared apartment: approx. CAD 400 to CAD 700 per month
Living expenses: approx. CAD 15,000 (indicative)
Taxes: Pay taxable charges on the amount your earn when you study in Canada with your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Canada Study Visa Processing Time
The Canada Study Visa Processing Time may take 3-4 weeks.
Other Important FAQs
Is it easy to get PR after studying in Canada?
Can I work while studying in Canada?
You are allowed to work 20 hours per week during your academic course and full-time during vacations.
What is the Student Partnership Program (SPP)?
The Student Partnership Program (SPP) between some colleges in Canada and the Canadian High Commission in India has made arrangements to offer a faster and much easier study visa process for Indian students. The SPP program has replaced the Student Direct Stream.
What are the top four Canadian universities?
Here is a list of the top designated learning institutions in Canada.
Top Universities in Canada
Canada Rank 2021
World Rank 2021
University of Toronto
University of British Columbia
What types of entry visas are required for studying in Canada?
To get entry into Canada, the candidate must have either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization).
How long have you to wait for a Canadian student permit?
Processing time for a Canadian study permit application can take up to 90 days but is usually done faster. Indian students can also use the Student Direct Stream to obtain a study permit faster.
What is Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada?
Known as PGWP, in short, a Post Graduation Work Permit allows students to remain and work full time in Canada for up to three years after graduation. The duration of the work permit depends upon the duration of the program.
What is the processing time of a Post Graduation Work Permit?
PGWP study permit applicants may have to wait for 90 days for a decision. You will have to satisfy the visa office of all PGWP requirements for a favourable conclusion.
Who issues work permits in Canada?
Work permits to international students in Canada are issued by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office. Applicants, however, will be required to have a job offer before applying.
Can a visitor visa be changed into a study permit in Canada?
You will first have to complete a short-term prerequisite course to change the Canadian visitor visa status to a study permit. Only then will you be eligible to apply for a study permit inside Canada.
What do visa officers check for student visas?
Visa officers at the visa application centre usually check whether the academic program you wish to join in Canada is related to your previous field of studies. They would also try and understand how your program abroad will contribute to your career plans.
The maple country offers plenty of growth opportunities along with global career prospects in a rapidly growing economy. Indian students can look forward to Canada for higher education. Canada attracts numerous people from all around the world to move and create a good life for themselves and their families.
Here’s a quick summary of how to apply for a Canada student visa:
- Do your research: Check for universities and courses you want to pursue in Canada, the annual intakes and gather all your documentation before you begin your student visa application.
- Apply for admission to a college/university: Have a genuine SOP prepared. Our SOP experts can help you with that. Then apply to universities and wait for an acceptance letter. Make sure that the university or college you are applying for is A Designated Learning Institute (DLI).
- Pay the tuition fees and other charges applicable: Keep the receipt with you. You will need to show it for your visa application.
- Buy the Guaranteed Investment Scheme: This is mandatory for each foreign student to have GIC worth $10,200 purchased from any participating bank. You will get fixed returns on this investment.
- Get your medical tests done: Do this a week before your visa application is submitted and keep the report with you.
- Apply for a visa: You can either do this online or with the help of a reputed visa consultant. Submit your application with the VFS Consent Form and other required documents correctly.
- Send in your passport and prepare to move to Canada: If your visa application is approved, you will receive a notification from the Government of Canada requesting your passport. Soon after, you will receive a temporary resident visa and a letter of introduction. Now all you need to do is prepare your move to Canada.
Keep in mind that being assisted by a reliable Canada study visa consultant will help avoid rookie mistakes in your application and documentation process.
At Kansas Overseas we can help you do this right and more - we also offer post-settlement services that will help you in your transition to living in Canada after you have received your Canada student visa. Feel free to contact us for your visa.