The Top 5 US Tourist Visa Requirements
Service Delivery Manager
Nagaraj is a veteran in processing Canada visas. He proves as the best professional to handle all PR visa process.
Scores of people want to visit the US for both of these purposes every year.
The requirements for both of these visas are explained thoroughly here.
What are the requirements to get a visitor visa to the USA?
To get a USA visitor visa:
- You need to have a valid passport, with at least 6 months validity
- Apply to the type of visa according to your purpose of visit
- Pay the appropriate visa fees
- Attend for the visa interview at the US consulate/embassy in the given time
- Financial proof that you have sufficient funds to support your stay
How long is a US visitor visa valid for?
The validity of the US visitor visa (both B-1 (business visa) and B-2 (visit visa)) is 6 months maximum. Hence you need to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months at the time of applying.
What are the documents checklist to get a US tourist visa?
The documents required to get a US visitor visa are:
- A valid passport
- You must fill the DS-160 form (the online non-immigrant electronic visa application form)
- You need to specify the type of visa (B-1, B-2, etc.) in the DS-160 form
- Should get documents of business or visit
- The color photo should be taken within the last six months with specifications
- sInvitation letter from the host in the US (If any).
How to get through the visa interview appointment?
You need to attend a visa interview to get a US visitor visa.
- You need to pay the application fee and then get an interview appointment at the US consulate/embassy.
- When you go to attend your interview, you need to take the folllowing documents along with you:
- Passports (new and if any, old)
- DS-160 confirmation form that has been stamped at the Visa Application Center (VAC)
- Receipts of the visa fee paid so far
- Supporting original documents
What are the specifications of the photograph to a US visitor visa?
While applying for US tourist visa, the passport holders need to submit their photographs with the below specifications:
- The digital photograph must be square in shape
- The photo should be of minimum 600 by 600 pixels
- The maximum pixels allowed are 1200 by 1200
- The photograph must be in color
- The photograph must be in JPEG format (i.e. in .jpg or .jpeg extension)
- The maximum size of the photograph must be 240kb.
What are the eligibility criteria to get a US visitor visa?
You need to have the following eligibility criteria to get US visitor visa:
- You need to have a genuine reason to visit the USA
- The reasons can be either business-related or medical treatment or recreation
- You need to have every intention to return to your homeland before your visa expires
- You need to have sufficient funds to buy tickets and support your stay
- You need to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of your traveling to the US.
What is the processing time to get a US tourist visa?
- The non-immigration visas of the US may take a few weeks or, in worst-case scenarios, months.
- The processing time mostly ranges between 3 to 5 weeks for B-1 and B-2 visa types.
- They may differ according to the workload on the US embassy.
- The processing time may also differ based on the country from which the applicant files the application form.
Do I need to give fingerprint details to get a US visitor visa?
Yes, you need to give fingerprint details to get a US visitor visa.
- You need to make an appointment to give your fingerprints.
- It is better to schedule your fingerprint appointment before the personal interview.
- Previously, applicants used to give their fingerprints when they gave personal interviews.
- Now, you need to give your fingerprints at the Visa Application Center (VAC).
What are the purposes of B-1 and B-2 visas?
The B-1 and B-2 visas are the two types of visitor visas of the USA. Their purpose is cited below:
- This is used for business purposes and is generally called as a business visa
- By using the B-1 visa, you can meet with business partners in the US
- You can finalize or negotiate a business deal
- You can buy or sell an estate
- You can attend a business seminar, conference, or meeting.
- You can plan a trip to visit family or friends
- You can visit the US for sightseeing
- You can spend a holiday or vacation
- You can participate in events, sports, musicals, and competitions, in which you can participate only for recreation and not win any money
- Take up a course for fun (that would not give you any major certification)
- Take medical treatment in US hospitals
For any queries or any visa support, you can contact Kansas Overseas. Our visa experts can resolve any of your doubts and will assist you in getting US Visit Visa a lot quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many times can I visit the U.S. on a visitor visa?
A: The US allows foreign nationals to take the multiple-entry visa in the tourist stream. You can get entry to the US to stay in the country for a maximum period of 6 months on each trip.
2. Can I work in the USA with a travel visa?
A: No, you cannot work in the USA with a tourist visa.
- If you get a job offer while you are in the US, your employer has to file a petition for you to get a work visa.
- With this petition, you need to apply for a work visa in your homeland.
3. Can you get a job on a tourist visa?
A: You should not search for a job in the USA while you are on a tourist visa. Any such attempts will have serious consequences. You may eve face dismissal to your home country and face visa rejections in the future due to this history.
4. Can I apply for a green card while on a tourist visa?
A: Getting a green card normally takes a certain number of months or, in most cases, some years. So, even if you apply for a green card while you are on a tourist visa, you may not get one before your current visa expires.
5. How much money do I need to show for a US tourist visa?
A: For a US tourist visa, there is no fixed amount you can show to the authorities. You need to prove that you can afford your stay in the country and cover the expenses of traveling to and fro. You can show your bank documents as proof of this amount. As proofs, you can show your international credit card statements, assets etc.
6. What is the visa waiver program VWP?
A: The visa waiver program was introduced by the United States to allow the citizens of some countries to visit the US for purposes like business, tourism, and transit. Visa on Arrival is also a program that is similar to VWP. The visa waiver program allows travelers to stay for 90 days without obtaining any visa type. The following are the countries that are given VWP to enter the US:
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Czech Republic
7. Do I need to attend the visa interview to get a tourist visa?
A: Yes, you need to attend the interview with all the mentioned documents to travel to the US with a tourist visa.
- You should book an appointment to get a visa interview.
- You can book appointments for giving your biometrics and visa interview after paying the fee.
- You need to book the biometrics appointment at least a day before you attend your interview.
8. Is the US visa similar to Canada's tourist visa?
A: The US and Canada have different immigration, travel, and student visa policies. You can say that stay in the US is different from a stay in Canada. Consult an immigration consultant to get more details on either of the countries’ travel authorization policies.
9. What is an alien registration card?
A: The Green card is otherwise called an alien registration card.
- It means the card permits to live in the US as lawful permanent residents.
- It completes the immigration of Permanent Resident applicants into the US.
- People with this card are considered almost as US citizens.
- The applicants need to have paid the relevant visa fee to get this card.
- The main aim of most of the people going to the US will be to get this card.
- If you try to get this card by any illegal means, you will be punished severely by the US government.
10. How can I prove my financial stability to the US consulate?
A: You need to prove your financial stability to the US so that the consulate knows that you can support your stay in the US.
- You can prove this by giving the consulate official, your bank statements, and other financial reports.
- These statements should suggest that the applicant is financially capable of maintaining himself/herself on their US trip.
- You need to prove your financial status because the US does not want anyone to become an additional burden on its economy.
- Hence in order to avoid such circumstances, the country takes measures to stop people from coming to the US, who cannot support themselves or their family (if they bring anyone with them).
11. Do I need to go through customs and border protection before getting an entry into the USA?
A: Yes, any country’s citizens who seek entry into the USA has to go through the inspection of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers.
- There are three types of inspections on applicants called customs, immigration, and agriculture components.
- You need to show your baggage and relevant documents to the officers to get entry into the country.
- The customs officer checks your baggage thoroughly for any illegal things that you might be transporting to the US.
- If they find any such things, they will restrict their entry.
12. Can I be denied a US tourist visa based on health grounds?
A: Yes, if the authorities at the consulate think that you may spread an epidemic or if they think that your health condition may become a problem to the US health care system, they may deny you a tourist visa on health grounds.
- You need to make sure that you are completely fit before attending the interview.
- If the CBP officials find that you cannot enter into the US because of health issues, the authorities will ask you to get your health checked up by a panel of physicians.
- After the physician checks you, he/she will submit a report on your health to the Customs and Border Protection officers.
- If the CBP officers see that you are not a threat to the US population, they will permit you to enter the country.
- If not, they would deny you of entering into the US.